Saflager - Lager W-34/70 stopped before FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migrau

Reaction score
First time brewing a lager. The recipe is attached. I pitched 2x11gr of yeast at 9C. After 7 days, I increased temp to 18C. Two ot three days after, I increased to 22C. The gravity is stuck at 1.012 for the last 10days. Not airlock movement. Beer tastes fine. Should I go ahead and bottle? For Ales, brewersfriend FG calc always was pretty accurate. Cheers,
Screenshot_20191204-184322.png
Screenshot_20191204-184353.png

At 1.012 my guess is that it is done. 34/70 can work out lower, but with extract that is probably as low as it will get. You have allowed enough time, and you say it tastes good.

Remember, yeast don't read. Especially, they didn't read your recipe, so they don't know the recipe says 1.008 is FG. To them, 1.012 is FG. Stable reading over 10 days? She's done.

You don't give a mash temp or time. If you want most yeast to get to their 83% apparent attenuation you need to mash low and long. I do 148* for 60 min then raise to 158 for 30 min. I just add boiling water. I know you want low mineral water for a Pils ,but you still need 50 ppm calcium in the mash so the calcium that is not consumed by the phosphates is there for the yeast.

Seems like beer is done. Next time use four sachets of yeast for cold pitch, you can use brewersfriend calc for yeast amount.

I will borrow these post for my question... I pitched 250g w34/70 at 58 fahrenheit wort 200L. After one week i get strange smell like oxidation, but at the end beer is fine but these smell is stil present. It is strange that i smell oxidation in a primary... is it possible that these smell is because of acetaldehyde? I also ramp temp from 58 to 65 degrees forth day of fermentation for one week. Thanks

Seems like beer is done. Next time use four sachets of yeast for cold pitch, you can use brewersfriend calc for yeast amount.

I will borrow these post for my question... I pitched 250g w34/70 at 58 fahrenheit wort 200L. After one week i get strange smell like oxidation, but at the end beer is fine but these smell is stil present. It is strange that i smell oxidation in a primary... is it possible that these smell is because of acetaldehyde? I also ramp temp from 58 to 65 degrees forth day of fermentation for one week. Thanks

I have not experienced noticeable acetaldehyde with 34/70 at 58F. Do you taste any? Your D rest should have helped clear it up if there was any. Usually I ferment a little cooler, but have gone as high as low 60'sF with decent results.

Perhaps you over pitched, yeast calculator aside, you used more than Fermetis's recommendation, at least according to packet instructions. Although I'm not aware of over pitching causing problems. BTW, I regularly use 25g 34/70 for 40L with great results.

Remember that young beer often smells and tastes a little harsh, it is aged for a reason, although I don't know about the smell of oxidation.

Thanks, guys, very good advices. Preboil is a bit tricky for partial, I don't check it actually.
Beer is in bottles now, the tasting sample was really good, let's see!

Back