SABCO Chill Wizard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with one of these? I got one from a buddy for a steal but it’s one of their older versions. I’m in the process of swapping out the older nylon threaded screw on hoses for the wort with silicone hoses and tri clamp fittings. The wort inputs are simple enough (hose from boil kettle in, cooled wort port out to fermenter. I’m confused on the water ports though. My guess is I have an ice bucket filled with ice water with an immersion chiller in it, inlet hose attached to the immersion chiller with the other end submerged in the water, output hose dumping circulated water back in to the ice bath.
Thoughts?

The use of an ice bath is only necessary if ground water temps are higher than your desired pitching temps. I’m lucky that I live in the north and Lake Michigan water is relatively cold year round so it’s not a huge challenge for me.

You don’t want to dump hot water back into your ice bath as it will just melt your ice and bring that temp up too quickly. It’s more effective to dump your plate chiller into a big bucket of ice water but drain your exhaust water into a sink or recycle it into another container for use as cleaning water. You can run the chilling water through your old immersion chiller in an ice bath before it reaches your plate chiller. Thats a good way to drop your chilling water temps down 20 or so degrees.

I have a double sink in my space and when I’m making a pilsner in August I’ll dump ice in one side of the sink and put the plate chiller in the ice water and drain the hot heater into the the other sink.

In a pro set up the chilling water is captured and returned to the hlt to be used the next morning for strike water or as cleaning water. That reduces both water loss and heating energy loss. That’s not practical on the home brew scale unless your brewing back to back beers.

Since your plate chiller is used and you don’t know how well it was cared for I suggest you bake the unit for a few hours at 400 degrees in the oven. Then you can be sure you have a sterile unit to start with. You’ll need to pull the thermometer and valve off first.

Get in the habit of back flushing the chiller after every use and developed a good cleaning regime after every batch. I highly recommend you use a whirlpool ( or filter) to separate trub before you pump wort through. They can be a bit finicky and clog up if your pushing trub through them. I prefer to clean and sanitize the unit after the brew day. I will run a bit more sanitizer through it just prior to chilling as a second safety check. But I don’t recirculate hot wort through it on brew day like you would do to sanitize an immersion chiller. One brew day with a clogged plate chiller was enough of a pain for me to learn that lesson.

Not sure if you are familiar with how these are set up but breaking down the unit to remove the plate chiller to bake it would be quite extensive. I'm planning on flushing a bit of hot water through the whole unit front and back, then some StarSan, then another hot water flush.

Not sure if you are familiar with how these are set up but breaking down the unit to remove the plate chiller to bake it would be quite extensive. I'm planning on flushing a bit of hot water through the whole unit front and back, then some StarSan, then another hot water flush.

Yes I’m familiar with the unit and yes it’s a pain to break it down. You don’t need to bake it that’s your call.

Flushing with hot water and running star San through it is a guarantee to infection. It’s simply not enough and bad practice.

At the minimum you need to run a back flush with hot water 130-150 degrees. Then reverse the hoses and clean with a PBW ( or oxyclean free) wash at 130-150. Then a flush with 130-150degree water. Then a sanitation with star San, sani clean or iodophor.

A plate chiller has multiple layers of copper with many small spaces for stuff to get caught up and you can’t visually inspect it. So if you aren’t very careful with cleaning you are going to have a problem at some point. The wort going in is near a boil but goes to warm then cold as it passes through. Wort and trub will not only stick in it but it will create a perfect environment for bacteria growth a few plates into the unit. Once you back flush it after a brew day you’ll see what I mean. This unit needs to be as clean or cleaner than your fermentor, you don’t want to expose your wort to any bacteria at the beginning of fermentation as bacteria can take hold before the yeast can eat up the sugars and out compete the bacteria. It’s survival of the fittest in the beginning.

I use a sump pump. I make three buckets of cleaning solution, rinse water and sanitizer. I just move the sump and return line from bucket to bucket then air dry with the unit on its short end to allow the sani to drain out. Then I sanitize once more on brew day.

They work great, you’ll love the ability to rack chilled wort at your desired pitching temp in a single pass saving you time and water but that ease comes with a price.

Last edited:
I use cam lock fittings so it’s easy to connect and disconnect. I use the same hoses for cleaning as I use to rack the beer to the fermentor. That way everything on the cold side has the same cleaning process.

Yes I’m familiar with the unit and yes it’s a pain to break it down. You don’t need to bake it that’s your call.

Flushing with hot water and running star San through it is a guarantee to infection. It’s simply not enough and bad practice.

At the minimum you need to run a back flush with hot water 130-150 degrees. Then reverse the hoses and clean with a PBW ( or oxyclean free) wash at 130-150. Then a flush with 130-150degree water. Then a sanitation with star San, sani clean or iodophor.

A plate chiller has multiple layers of copper with many small spaces for stuff to get caught up and you can’t visually inspect it. So if you aren’t very careful with cleaning you are going to have a problem at some point. The wort going in is near a boil but goes to warm then cold as it passes through. Wort and trub will not only stick in it but it will create a perfect environment for bacteria growth a few plates into the unit. Once you back flush it after a brew day you’ll see what I mean. This unit needs to be as clean or cleaner than your fermentor, you don’t want to expose your wort to any bacteria at the beginning of fermentation as bacteria can take hold before the yeast can eat up the sugars and out compete the bacteria. It’s survival of the fittest in the beginning.

I use a sump pump. I make three buckets of cleaning solution, rinse water and sanitizer. I just move the sump and return line from bucket to bucket then air dry with the unit on its short end to allow the sani to drain out. Then I sanitize once more on brew day.

They work great, you’ll love the ability to rack chilled wort at your desired pitching temp in a single pass saving you time and water but that ease comes with a price.

Now you're talkin'!
Do you do this process for both the wort AND water side of the plate or just the wort?
I may have to just bite the bullet and bake it as well.

No need to worry about the water side, wort only touches the wort side of the unit.

Run some hot water through it and see if you get anything funky. I’d start by hooking your flow into the wort out side first. The first few times I used it I was amazed by the amount of crap the back flushed out of it. Scared the crap out of me. But once I figured it out I got more comfortable. I’ve probably put 100 batches through it now and I’ve yet to have an infection

No need to worry about the water side, wort only touches the wort side of the unit.

Run some hot water through it and see if you get anything funky. I’d start by hooking your flow into the wort out side first. The first few times I used it I was amazed by the amount of crap the back flushed out of it. Scared the crap out of me. But once I figured it out I got more comfortable. I’ve probably put 100 batches through it now and I’ve yet to have an infection

Ok so ran some hot water through it and just a little bit of flecked particles came out. I removed the Therminator plate chiller from the rig. Can you walk me through this process of baking it?

Super easy just bake it. 320 for two hours or 340 for one hour. I usually put it in a 340 degree oven let it bake an hour then turn off the oven and let it cool overnight. Then flush it both ways. I usually run a bit of sanitizer on brew day as a redundant measure.

Super easy just bake it. 320 for two hours or 340 for one hour. I usually put it in a 340 degree oven let it bake an hour then turn off the oven and let it cool overnight. Then flush it both ways. I usually run a bit of sanitizer on brew day as a redundant measure.

How does one flush it both ways?

You have a wort flow direction labeled wort in. Every time I use it I attach a hose to the “wort out” side and turn it on full blast before I do anything else. After a few min I turn off the water and connect to the wort in side and run it full blast.

When you connect water to the “wort out” side and flush it’s called “back flushing” instead of pushing the trub further into the plates your pushing it back out of the unit.

You have a wort flow direction labeled wort in. Every time I use it I attach a hose to the “wort out” side and turn it on full blast before I do anything else. After a few min I turn off the water and connect to the wort in side and run it full blast.

When you connect water to the “wort out” side and flush it’s called “back flushing” instead of pushing the trub further into the plates your pushing it back out of the unit.

Is that back flush with just a hose and ground temp water or heated?

Ok, to recap....
1. Bake Therminator in oven at 340 for an hour, let cool in oven overnight

2. Flush wort side with 130-150 degree water for (?) minutes.

3. Flush wort side with hot water and PBW both front and back flush

4. Flush again with 130-150 degree water

5. Sanitize on brew day

Missing anything?

Is that back flush with just a hose and ground temp water or heated?

Ok, to recap....
1. Bake Therminator in oven at 340 for an hour, let cool in oven overnight

2. Flush wort side with 130-150 degree water for (?) minutes.

3. Flush wort side with hot water and PBW both front and back flush

4. Flush again with 130-150 degree water

5. Sanitize on brew day

Missing anything?

2. Till it runs clean.

3. 20 mins minimum total

4 + a sani (kinda optional)

6. Rdwhahb. Cheers

Latest posts

Back