S/S pressure growler questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johntodd

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this. My beer drinking needs are simple, just on the weekends with the wife. I'm an old winemaker, so I've got that part understood, etc.

My question is this: Does anybody have any feedback with this device:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Keg-Style-Growler/dp/B00HR4KQBU/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1412346985&sr=1-2&keywords=growler

It's a 2 liter growler that the manufacturer says can be used to prime/carb the beer. I'm thinking of getting two of them so we can enjoy one each weekend.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Last edited by a moderator:
just use bottles or get a 3gal keg.

Not really an option.

Me + Glass + Alcohol = Disaster. (Don't ask) :cross:

And I'm too cheap to get CO2 cartridges and all that.

I figured these little pressure growlers would be the perfect fit for my needs.

Those are basically big bottles 1/2 gallon size, you are not going to be happy with bottle conditioned beer in them. as soon as you open one you are going to have to pour it all into a pitcher or something because if you set it back down it will stir up all the sediment. there are alot better way to spend 80$ imo.

Do they make metal bottles with flip caps? I wasnt able to find them amongst the zillions of options out there.

the standard ez cap bottles are thick and tough. If you seriously are planning on breaking them after splitting a growlers worth of beer maybe you shouldnt drink any. You say your a wine maker, what do you store and drink your wine out of maybe it will fit your needs?

so, you already have all the beer making things you need but just need a way to carb and store?

When I bottled, I used clear, plastic coke bottles.You can see and feel when they are properly carbbed. They hold volumes much greater than any beer would ever need. If you drink soda, they are free. Very portable, You can't go wrong with soda bottles. I'm sure someone will chime in with off flavors and what-not, but I drank a belgian trippel a few days ago that's been in the bottle 6 months...it's great.

so, you already have all the beer making things you need but just need a way to carb and store?

Yes, that's it.

Seems like the only disadvantage to the S/S growler is the sediment. I can pour everything into a pitcher, that's no problem.

Thse S/S bottles look fantastic! But alas, no flip-top caps and 2X the cost of the growlers (based on capacity)

Soda pop bottles are looking better and better. So, how long will a 2-liter last? I know they're cheap, but so am I! LOL! How many times can they be used before they "crack under the pressure"? (So to speak.)

Thanks!
-Johntodd

***disclaimer**** I never used a 2 liter for conditioning, so I can't speak for those. But the C02 volume is the same in the soda so i would ASSUME they would be just fine. I used the 12 and 16 oz and I know some of them were used 3 times. They will start to get cloudy looking. But if you are even thinking about spending $80 on SS growlers. You can buy soda in 2L bottles for $1, you only consume one per weekend, that's over 1.5 yrs. even if you don't reuse them. Plus you getting soda you probably drinking anyway. But if that's still too much you can ask friends to give you theirs and they will be free for as long as you have friends.

So does anybody think 2-liter soda bottles are not good for carbing? Looks like I'm headed straight to them instead of the growlers.

lots of people use PET bottles, and you can buy replacement caps online. Soda has a much higher carbonation level then beer so they should hold the pressure no issues. IIRC i believe i have read that the caps tend to fail every now and again. and your going to have the same sediment issues. If you are still wanting to carb large volume though and not use a keg they are probably your best option.

I like the responses I'm getting, and I appreciate you guys coming out to help, but let's approach this form another angle.

I don't want to have to buy bottle caps and CO2 cartridges continuously, nor do I want to invest in a CO2 tank-and-keg system, all for economic and environmental reasons. That's why I'm tweaking over the the whole carbing thing.

Are there metal beer bottles with flip-caps that can handle bottle carbing?

I'd investigate some 1-3 gallon kegs, with no co2 tank or regulator. You would need a small co2 cartridge system but would rarely need it.

Primary as usual, rack to the kegs, and prime with the desired amount of sugar (kegs need less sugar to prime same amount, assuming they are full). After a couple weeks of carbing, either continue warm conditioning or put in fridge. After a few days all of the yeast will be on the bottom. The first pint or two will be cloudy and then it will clear up. You should have enough co2 in the keg to serve the whole thing for a few days. Keep it very cold and don't move the keg ( will have another cloudy pint).

You're now having kegged beer on the cheap, can make a variety of batch sizes, and keeping it simple, with only a hand held tap to serve. You can easily fill growlers and bottles (plastic or stainless) when you want to take some with you.

If you like to make beer and like the beer you make, almost everyone decides to get into kegging sooner or later!

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

Forgot to mention, occasionally the beer may pour a little too slow, at which time you quickly hit it with the handheld co2 cartridge, won't take much. You would only be adding enough to keep a little pressure when the keg gets close to empty.

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

I don't want to have to buy bottle caps and CO2 cartridges continuously, nor do I want to invest in a CO2 tank-and-keg system, all for economic and environmental reasons. That's why I'm tweaking over the the whole carbing thing.

i think the caps he is talking about is the ones that come with the soda bottle. Poster is saying they may fail if reused multiple times. Get your friend to give you a soda bottle with a new cap after the second or 3rd use and you will be fine. They are free and on the way to the landfill anyway.

Latest posts

Back