12$ for 3 lbs of dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meh.

Free shipping isn't free.

Those who can take advantage of RiteBrew's regional delivery service will be able to price match that item /2/ (including shipping) with an intent by the seller / shipper to deliver the order in a couple days /1/ rather than 7 to 10 days.

I would suspect there are similar regional stores in other regions of the USA.

/1/ for me, I order early Monday morning. Order is ready for pick-up on the same day. Regional delivery service picks up the item that evening. It almost always takes just 1 to 2 days to get to me. YMMV.

/2/ RiteBrew also has Pilsen DME at the same price.. ;)

meh.

Free shipping isn't free.

Those who can take advantage of RiteBrew's regional delivery service will be able to price match that item /2/ (including shipping) with an intent by the seller / shipper to deliver the order in a couple days /1/ rather than 7 to 10 days.

I would suspect there are similar regional stores in other regions of the USA.

/1/ for me, I order early Monday morning. Order is ready for pick-up on the same day. Regional delivery service picks up the item that evening. It almost always takes just 1 to 2 days to get to me. YMMV.

/2/ RiteBrew also has Pilsen DME at the same price.. ;)

I agree that briess dme is meh, when you can buy briess lme from more beer packaged at the source in oxygen barrier bags. Slit the bottom of the bag and clip it to the kettle while it mixes automatically for you.

I agree that briess dme is meh, when you can buy briess lme from more beer packaged at the source in oxygen barrier bags.
Politely (but to be clear), I was talking about pricing on a dry malt extract.

LME is a different product; and it appears you found a source that can ship it fresh.

Good price w/shipping. I typically only use DME for starters, so the Golden is fine. Had a mixed Amazon cart ready to go anyway, so added a bag. Description is a bit laughable ... headline and photo say 3 lb., Item Package Weight says 1 lb., and Product Information says "Item Weight 0.01 oz."

Those who can take advantage of RiteBrew's regional delivery service will be able to price match that item /2/ (including shipping)
Yep. In fact you can beat that price by a fair bit if you order enough to qualify for the quantity and shipping discounts.

Also (for example) Brewhardware sells six varieties of Briess DME for $12/3lb. That's their regular price. The threshold for free shipping is quite high, however (there are good reasons for that). And of course you can just pick it up if you happen to be in central NJ. I'd expect that there are similar deals to be found in other places.

I do order a lot of stuff from Amazon, but it's not always the best way to go.

headline and photo say 3 lb., Item Package Weight says 1 lb., and Product Information says "Item Weight 0.01 oz."
Yeah, that was a bit confusing to say the least. LOL
I can confirm that it is indeed a 3lb bag.

I can't speak to "meh", I've held back on commenting about that until now. Without something more specific --and to be honest it's hard to tell if I really need anything more specific. I do some one-off brews where I combine light and amber DME to make for a super easy brew day, and end up with a nice American Ale. Most likely someone's "meh" is another person's perfectly nice beer. Myself, my wife and our neighbor like it fine.

Secondarily, I can't speak to other options such as buying in bulk elsewhere that might have more savings/value. Amazon is not all things to all people, but I've had good service, an excellent return policy, and overall good value from it. I also like some of the movies included with Prime as well.

EDIT: I'm happy with the purchase and appreciate the notification.

I can't speak to "meh", I've held back on commenting about that until now. Without something more specific --and to be honest it's hard to tell if I really need anything more specific.
My "meh" was with regard to price / delivery.

Many people can get better price / delivery with regional online home brew stores vs national home brew stores or international e-commerce sites.

I do some one-off brews where I combine light and amber DME to make for a super easy brew day, and end up with a nice American Ale.
+1 on this.

There are also a couple of on line homebrew stores that, anecdotally, that can deliver fresh style specific LME. Eliminating the need for steeping grains can be an attractive alternative for those a little short on time on a brew day.

For me, it looks like $172 and deliver in a week vs $167 and deliver in a couple of days.

YMMV.

1678911607968.png

I'll just insert the obligatory disclaimer. You keep buying the regular every day commodities from sellers that don't give a damn about the homebrewing community at all and that's all you'll be left with.
DME does not need a LHBS. That is like saying buying rice at Costco is hurting the little guy.

I've bought DME from Brewhardware. Bobby's regular price for a 3 lb bag is $12. The free shipping threshold is high, but I hit it if I buy three or four batches worth of ingredients at once. I do buy plenty of stuff from Amazon, but I try not to buy from them when they don't have the best price.

DME does not need a LHBS. That is like saying buying rice at Costco is hurting the little guy.

I never said that it took any special skill to sell DME. I said if you keep buying the commodity type items at whatever big retailer for the lowest possible price and leave the specialty items to the homebrew shops, those shops will be gone in time. LHBS need everyone to buy ALL homebrew items from them and even then it's a tough business to thrive in.

Buying rice at Costco would be a similar analogy to the owner of an Asian Food Specialty store. Sure, you go there for the special spices you can only get there and then stop at Costco on the way home because their rice is 5 cents a pound cheaper because F the small business owner.

Last edited:
I never said that it took any special skill to sell DME. I said if you keep buying the commodity type items at whatever big retailer for the lowest possible price and leave the specialty items to the homebrew shops, those shops will be gone in time. LHBS need everyone to buy ALL homebrew items from them and even then it's a tough business to thrive in.

Buying rice at Costco would be a similar analogy to the owner of an Asian Food Specialty store. Sure, you go there for the special spices you can only get there and then stop at Costco on the way home because their rice is 5 cents a pound cheaper because F the small business owner.
I remember being fed that line when I bought the clutch for my car. Use the small shop, even if it is more expensive. Three months later he closed up shop.

Turns out if there is no value proposition in what you offer, all you can hope for is welfare.

You do you. I'm into bang for the buck and I make no apologies for it. I will thank you to keep your hands out of my pocket. Yakima Valley, HopUnion, North Mountain Supply and Briess have welcomed me with open arms. The best way to support the hobby is to keep doing it.

I'm into bang for the buck and I make no apologies for it.
As has been demonstrated, the Amazon price that started this thread does not in fact represent the best bang for the buck. So there's nothing really to apologize for, except maybe not reading.

The current Amazon price of $15.24 is actually a FABULOUS price, the $12 even more so. Here is what 3lb of DME shipped to my home from my usual sources:

Morebeer

$17.99
$7.99 shipping

$25.98

Atlantic Brew Supply

$12.99
$10.00 shipping

$22.99

The Amazon price is not only substantially better, I already have it in hand in only 2 days. ABS might be able to match that, being next door, but most suppliers usually 3 or 4 days.

didnt mean to start a fight but ill bite

1 im a capitalist in a capitalist country i like to get the cheapest price possible competition is what drives prices down.
2 it is a good price
3 that free shipping threshhold is rediculous
4 lastly i started brewing back in the 80s before the internet and when there was one lhbs in the neasrest 30 mile radius . the hobby has grown tremendously since then theres now one within a brisk walk from my house i doubt me buying from amazon will be the cause of no local hbs. theres other reasons why they close and why they stay open.
5 unfortunately ( or fortunately) amazon has an incredible business model ( no hassle returns 1-2 days selivery with prime etc) thats why bezos is the richest or second richest man on the planet/

Lower prices, like lower taxes, are seductive. But (and now this belongs in a debate forum) we - those of us who can - may need to pay more to foster the world we want to live in.

So there's nothing really to apologize for, except maybe not reading.
I won't apologize for that either. I read something about Bobby from the brew-whatever. The shipping cost more but you offset it by... And then I went on to other things. Guilty as charged, no time spent investigating your connection to Bobby or his place of business, or the amount of savings. It's OK to say that you and Bobby won that round. All the best to you!

Something to be said about balance between 'the local guy' and 'the big guy'. There are losers in a free market system for sure.
[Insert disclaimer about 'cronie-capitalism' here.]

(Side note- MoreBeer probably supplies about 75% or so of LHBS. They are very savvy at looking small. They picked up a large wholesaler that i can't remember the name of right now).

Amazon is putting Wal-Mart out of buisness. And is killing local Main St. Buisnesses.

Wal-Mart put K-Mart out of buisness. And is killing local Main St. Buisnesses.

K-mart put (before my time. Sears?) out of buisness. And is killing local Main St. Buisnesses.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Starting with:
Sears Roebuck & Co. that put every Main St general store out of buisness.

Who will put Amazon out of buisness? (Let me know- i'll invest!). It WILL happen. Probably sooner than later.
That business will start as a very small, Main St. buisness. It will be so good that it grows, expands, provides better employment opportunities, generates more tax revenue, etc. And many will invest and grow it more.
Repeat.

I put a great link to a great South Park episode that i think captures and explains it best below.

Compete on what you can- service, location, expertise, etc. (See Bobby, and many other sponsors here).
Price is A feature and value to many.
Not to all.
I shop with my wallet, and i sell products and services to each individual customer to choose with his/her wallets.

Also... Costco sells rice for Much better savings than a nickel a pound!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0763048/?ref_=fn_al_tt_7

Sure, buy those medals from Amazon. Keep buying medals from sellers that don't give a damn about the medal purchasing community and you'll just put all the Local Medal Supply stores out of business and then where will we all be? Homeless and hungry, that's where.

The current Amazon price of $15.24 is actually a FABULOUS price, the $12 even more so. Here is what 3lb of DME shipped to my home from my usual sources:

Morebeer

$17.99
$7.99 shipping

$25.98

Atlantic Brew Supply

$12.99
$10.00 shipping

$22.99

The Amazon price is not only substantially better, I already have it in hand in only 2 days. ABS might be able to match that, being next door, but most suppliers usually 3 or 4 days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408-103943.png
    Screenshot_20230408-103943.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back