Grainfather power question (G40)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Looking at the power requirements for the GF G40, it uses a NEMA 6-20P. It also advises against using the old three prong dryer outlet. Of course my house has to have the old style so getting an electrician to install the correct outlet, in my garage, is where I'll end up. Even if I don't get the GF.

My question is would it be possible to use a conversion cable like this until I can get the right outlet installed. 10-30P to -20R

Yes that cable will work but you'll want a GFCI in the mix. I run my G40 on a 50amp 10-50R outlet with a 20 Amp line cord GFCI.

No need for a special outlet install unless it's something you want done to accomodate your brewing area.

https://www.grainger.com/product/55CW92?gucid=N:N:FPL:Free:GGL:CSM-1946:tew63h3:20501231
Be aware that 10-30P/R is a hot, hot, neutral spec.

What you need is a hot, hot, ground wiring which is most likely how the receptacle is currently wired to accomodate the drier but doesn't hurt to verify.

Last edited:
Somewhat of an update and good news for getting setup (FINALLY). So I recently returned back the states :) and found I have a 4 prong dryer outlet in my garage (14-30R) that is still hot. Looks to be dedicated and only about a foot below the circuit panel. According to the GF manual I can use an adapter. Both big box stores have this for ~$56. I had already purchased the 6-20R before I realized this. But still thinking of just swapping the breaker for on with built in GFCI. Wire should be 10AWG and not need replacement. Just need to close off the neutral.

Somewhat of an update and good news for getting setup (FINALLY). So I recently returned back the states :) and found I have a 4 prong dryer outlet in my garage (14-30R) that is still hot. Looks to be dedicated and only about a foot below the circuit panel. According to the GF manual I can use an adapter. Both big box stores have this for ~$56. I had already purchased the 6-20R before I realized this. But still thinking of just swapping the breaker for on with built in GFCI. Wire should be 10AWG and not need replacement. Just need to close off the neutral.
The 14-30P to 6-20R adapter should take care of "close off the neutral." For example, this one doesn't connect the neutral to anything on the 6-20R end.

Brew on :mug:

I ordered the one from Home Depot. More expensive but I figure a better name brand for a few more dollars would be worth it.

Back