Just can't decide...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac_1103

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This or that?

I know there's been a lot of discussion of mini kegs and I've read a lot of it but I'm still not sure which way to go. As I understand it, "this" is essentially a "real" keg with all of the advantages of being able to do closed transfers and forced carbonation (but not with the small cartridges unless you want to piss away a lot of $$$). OTOH, "that" is double walled and is supposed to hold temperature for >24 hours, so better for taking to a party for example. Maybe I should just get one of each.

Anyone want to share their experience(s) or suggest other factors I should consider? Thanks in advance.

I have considered those. Price creeps up close to $80 when you add a mini regulator and picnic tap.

edit - and US distributors seem to have trouble keeping the Tapping Head Kits in stock.

Other option: this. Not the best keg I've ever used, but serviceable, and $42. Combine with this ($25) and this ($25). You'll probably spend a little more (especially after shipping) but it will be worth it (for the Picnic Tap 2.1, especially.)

The mini kegs (your first option) are fine too; I have several small (64 oz.) ones. If you're going to leave beer in them for any length of time, the main O-ring is silicon, and you'll want to swap it out.

Not the best keg I've ever used, but serviceable, and $42.
Thanks. Those do seem like a good deal when you can get that price. I assume you're a big fan because of your love small batches; for me, the issues are space and portability. Would I need the low profile picnic taps to stack them when tapped?

Wonder how long the beer would stay cold if I wrapped one in reflectix? :D

Thanks. Those do seem like a good deal when you can get that price. I assume you're a big fan because of your love small batches; for me, the issues are space and portability. Would I need the low profile picnic taps to stack them when tapped?

Wonder how long the beer would stay cold if I wrapped one in reflectix? :D
They’ll stack with regular QDs:
FC314C2B-AC56-40F4-BCCA-0D131E24BCE7.jpeg

They’re a little wobbly when stacked. I’m happy to go two high, but would be really nervous going three.

Just pulled the trigger on two of the cannonballs. And two mini-regulators and two picnic taps. With tax and shipping came to about $20 more that the other options would have been. But they're about 35% bigger and I think afford more flexibility. So thanks for the push Alex.

I guess a spunding valve is next...

$42 for those is a great price. I have a bunch of the 2.6 gallon and 1.7 ones and they work great for serving kegs.

ive been using mini kegs now for about 2 years. they are great for small batch brewers and for space saving. the two issues you will have is cost of mini co2 carts and flow control. both are easily solved. the soda stream/ regulator adaptors are only about 15-20 dollars. sodastream canisters are much cheaper than mini carts and available almost anywhere. brst buy target lowes homedepot kohl etc and through the mail. flow control is a little more expensive but you need it to avoid having to bleed keg a little at every pour. i use a duotight ball lock with flow control and it pours perfect at any keg pressure. just a little slow. kegging changed my game and these little kegs got me started. i got all my ideas from cankeg.com. hes very thoro but the shipping is cheaper at morebeer (free over 59$) and they have the same selection plus ingredients.

your kegs are better than the ones i use because of the wide mouth and easy access cleaning.

Metal CO2 Soda Cylinder Adapter, CO2 Cylinder Adapter, Soda Co2 Adapter Mini Adjuster Brewed Beer Corny Keg 3/8-24UNF to 6ACME-6G​

Brand: Goick
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings

9.99 on amazon

1 Price Change

So it looks like this should work to attach a soda stream cylinder to the mini-regulator I already ordered. Or am I missing something?

Sorry about all the naive questions, but it's actually almost fun to be a bit of a noob again.

Get the insulated growler. I have a couple of mini's, some small corny kegs and some ukegs. If I'm heading out with beer, 9 out of 10 times I grab the ukeg since it is insulated. No ice or cooler just fill and go. I like the insulated one the op posted.

I use the mini's and small kegs for any excess out of the fermenter. I can charge them with co2, shake them and sample the beer almost immediately after kegging. I have sleave for the mini's to help try and keep it cool but it's not that great at the job and even worse if it gets wet.

Which ever you get you'll figure it out.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html
Morebeer has their torpedo kegs in a 1.5 gallon size. Those ARE real kegs with posts and all. No disposable CO2 cylinders. They also claim they stack and the fittings are accessible when they are stacked. Pricey but think of what you’ll save on disposable CO2.

Last edited:
yep they are real kegs. dont let anyone tell you different . size doesnt always matter . at least thats what she said

Back