rotten apple taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss4ivan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made my last extract beer back in January. It was a kit I bought from northern brewer (Advantegeous Weizenbock). The kit was a year old because I didnt have a way to make a yeast starter. Decided just to pitch 2 packets of dry yeast. The brew went good, OG: 1.080 and finished around 1.018. It was my first temperature controlled beer via thermowell.
Primary 2 weeks
Secondary 2 weeks
Lager for 2 months
Kegged and carbed for 2 weeks
Tried this mid march and had strong apple taste almost like rotten apples. left it in the keg chamber for another 2 weeks and still had same taste. So I figured I would leave at room temp and hope the flavor would go away. Its been at room temp for about 1-1.5 months and flavor is still there.

I would assume maybe some of the yeast was bad and the beer was underpitched. I read that yeast stress causes the apple flavor. First bad beer after 30 batches...not bad, but I still hate to dump it. Any way to save this or is it toast?

I would say let it ride until you need the keg for your next batch. cant hurt.

That's acetaldehyde which at the rotten fruit level is usually an indicator of a Zymomonas infection. Waiting will not clean this up as what the external bugs produce you cannot expect residual yeast to pick up.

How would you get this type of infection? This is the only batch it has happened to and I have brewed 8 batches since this one with no similar infections.

Same way as any other - insufficient cleaning or sanitation. Note that I did say 'usually'. There may be other spoilage organisms that do the same thing. Zymomonas is the only one I can think of.

This beer is a year and 3 months old. Tasted again today and its still rotten apples. Dam. Looks like its a dumper. I'll clean the F out of this keg afterward, dont want to ruin any more beer with the rotten apple infection.

Before I dump I'm going to try freeze concentration on this and see what happens. I'm guessing it will taste like hot rotten apples but it's a good experiment anyways.

Hot rotten apples was exactly what it was lol. It was very thick and syrupy as well. I needed the keg space so I dumped it and cleaned with boiling pbw. Hopefully I'll never encounter this problem again.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back