Riptide pump - PSA injury risk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubandspoke

Reaction score
This very well could be user error, but I figured I would post here to share my experience.

First off I've owned my Riptide pump for about a year now, and have used it flawlessly on over a dozen brew sessions. I love everything about it!

After every brew session I open up the pump head for cleaning, but I had never fully removed the flow valve until this most recent brew day. The retaining clip was easy enough to remove, and then I started to turn the valve knob to remove it. I grabbed onto it nestled in the crook between my thumb and index finger (where you test for meat done-ness) and started turning. But I didn't realize that the stainless steel threads are really sharp! I got three really nasty lacerations on both my thumb and index. It may be some rough burrs on the edge in addition to the threads, I'm usually careful on SS threads. After this incident I realized I don't need to really crank down to remove the valve knob, instead you just need to keep spinning and it pops out assuming the retainer clip is removed.

Heads up to any other Riptide owners, be careful removing that flow valve for cleaning. Happy brewing!

Might as well warn folks to be careful with any stainless steel threaded element, because I've done the same thing with simple pipe fittings.
Sometimes didn't even notice until I'd left a trail of blood drips...

Cheers!

Back