Riptide Pump Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mashed in this morning and when I turned on my Riptide nothing happened. When I pulled off the pump head I realized whenever I turn the pump on it just hummed like it was locked up. I was able to turn the drum inside the head and get it running but its quite noisy. Going to forgo recirculation for today and hope the pump gets the wort into the fermenter. I'm assuming something got into the head during my last cleanup. Any ideas on what I might look for? It just shy of 4 years old so this isn't a warranty issue. I see I can replace the whole motor assembly for $89. But maybe its also a sign that its time to upgrade to the TC model with the CF impeller.

If it hums, but doesn’t start, might be a bad capacitor. Tell tale is that it will run if you can give the impeller a nudge to turn over. Not sure how you could use this info to get the pump limping along, but if you manage to get it turning over, leave it running and use the linear valve to control off/on…

After I freed it up it started and stopped fine but was loud. I finished up my brew day and tore the pump apart all the way and found white sludgy stuff I think was probably the bearing grease. Just ordered some bearings and mini puller to see if I can save it but I may still order a new one and keep this as a backup.

Back