Riptide impeller washer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raider7296

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the Riptide upgrade kits attached to my March pump body. My last brew day, while I was recirculating the mash, I heard the dreaded "screeeeeech" and immediately shut off the pump. I assumed I had sucked in some air somehow, but when I tried to turn the pump back on after ensuring the head was flooded, the whole pump was locked up. Cursing under my breath, I pulled the pump head off and found pieces of a black washer jamming the impeller. After I cleared those out, I flooded the pump again and it started pumping normally.

I'm trying to figure out where this black washer came from. It kinda looks like it came off the back end of the impeller, but I can't find any pictures online to confirm. Can someone with a riptide take a look for me and see if there is black washer glued to the back end (toward the motor) of the impeller?

This is NOT the smaller, stainless washer that goes on the shaft, that remained in place. I attached some pics to show what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0965.jpeg
    IMG_0965.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, Bobby. I actually ordered the upgrade kit from you last February.

Do you think Blichmann would send me a new impeller under warranty if I reach out to them?

Thanks, Bobby. I actually ordered the upgrade kit from you last February.

Do you think Blichmann would send me a new impeller under warranty if I reach out to them?

Probably. They had a batch of pumps that had questionable impellers included so I think they are pretty loose about their warranty replacements.

Just to follow up in case anyone else happens to have the same problem... I sent an email to Blichmann explaining what happened, and within a few hours they had a new impeller in the mail for me. Excellent customer service, especially a few days before Christmas. Problem solved!

Back