Recirculation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannibalmdq

Reaction score
I just finished up the controller for my 120V recirculating eBIAB rig. I've got a bag from Wilser and I'm going to use a false bottom to protect it from the kettle element. Here's my question: what do people use for the output end of their recirculation setup?

I've got some silicone tubing running from the ball valve to the pump and back into the kettle. Would jamming the output tubing down into my mash work? Do people let the output pour directly on the top of the mash water? Would this cause channeling or some other thing that might inhibit the mash from maintaining a consistent temperature? Or do people have a more complicating output end that spreads the reheated wort more evenly into the mash? Or am I overthinking the whole thing?

channelling is pretty much a non issue with BIAB. I too just lay the hose on top

I just put my tubing on top of my mash and never really have a problem.

Ditto, except I have a tee in my lid I route my recirculation through. On the underside of the lid I have an elbow and hose barb. On the hose barb I have the hose, obviously, and just lay that on top of the grain bed.

I use a Locline which is nice because it's adjustable and easy to get out of the way / into place where I get a nice parallel-with-the-grain-bed wrapped-around-the-outside-edge-of-the-keggle output to get a nice, slow "whirlpool" effect going for flow....

...that said, even though the locline is fairly cheap, that might be a bit overboard / you'd probably be fine with just laying a silicone tube on top.

I installed a ball valve at the top of my kettle to connect the recirc inflow back into the kettle while keeping the kettle lid on. on the inside I have a quick disconnect to a 3" arm to which a 90 degree elbow is located for central dumping of the wort. The quick disconnect is there so that at the end of mashing BIAB style, the arm comes out (EASILY) and allows for the bag to be pulled free.

Latest posts

Back