Recipe input por favor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
Still very new at this recipe writing thing. Any input or suggestions on this one would be appreciated. It came probably 85% out of my head. My goal is a citrusy moderately bitter American IPA.

Thanks, any and all input/critique appreciated

Lon

Attachments

• Brewfather_HazyIPA_20220619 (1).pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 0
Looks solid to me, I like the Citra/Cascade hop combo. The only thing I (personally, if I was brewing this for me) would change would be switch Chinook bittering for Cascade; I use Chinook in some beers, but it can impart a bit too much bitterness for my taste.

What are you expecting from the rolled oats and the honey malt?
This recipe is an all grain conversion of and extract recipe I had. That recipe was a mish mash of recipe's that actually turned out to be quite good. That is the reason they are there. I would expect the oats to add mouthfeel and a little haze maybe. From the honey malt I would expect to taste maybe just a little sweetness?

This recipe is an all grain conversion of and extract recipe I had. That recipe was a mish mash of recipe's that actually turned out to be quite good. That is the reason they are there. I would expect the oats to add mouthfeel and a little haze maybe. From the honey malt I would expect to taste maybe just a little sweetness?
Extract to all-grain conversion as a starting point - interesting & I hadn't considered that as a starting point. I haven't brewed with honey malt so I can't offer any insights beyond what you have probably already read.

Your hops and malt bill look ok for a hazy IPA. Honey malt % may be a little high for my taste but that's subjective. I suspect the honey malt will balance the Chinook bittering well. If you want to really match the style, I would add another oz or two to the dry hop and adjust the water profile to be more cl than SO4. Say 7g cacl and 4g gypsum.

That said, if this is how you brewed it (extract) in the past, there is some value to brewing it the same way this time as a baseline. There is nothing inherently wrong with the original recipe.

Back