Verdant in American/West Coast IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re really interested in making a west coast IPAs, I wouldn’t suggest verdant. Leaves too much body in my opinion for trying to make a crisp beer.

Now if that doesn’t bother you and you just really want to use verdant, mash lower, say 148-150*f. Use hotside finings like whirlfloc and then cold side finings, use biofine. I use it at 4-5 ml per gallon if I want it really clear. View attachment 846244
No, its def not a straight west coast. Id say its a British/West coast hybrid w a color at the high end of those styles approaching a red IPA. The hops are the only thing 100% west coast. Id never use the Verdant solo for this. But like i mentioned im only lookin to use about 1/3 a packet of Verdant along with a fresh wlp 007 cake which has been drying up my IPAs just fine for me. Im also already mashing at 150 and using whirlfloc.

No, it’s def not a straight west coast. Id say it’s a British/West coast hybrid w a color at the high end of those styles approaching a red IPA. The hops are the only thing 100% west coast. Id never use the Verdant solo for this. But like i mentioned im only lookin to use about 1/3 a packet of Verdant along with a fresh wlp 007 cake which has been drying up my IPAs just fine for me. Im also already mashing at 150 and using whirlfloc.
Gotcha. All fine and well.

I will say that if you are racking onto a yeast cake of 007, then this will be 100% or nearly 100% of the character you will get as the verdant won’t even have an opportunity to get through the growth phase before it is out competed by the 007 due to the massive differences in cell counts.

I would suggest making a small starter using the entire pack of verdant and then 4 table spoons of the 007 cake. This will allow you to get more character from the verdant, since that’s what your aiming for.

I just used Verdant in a West Coast Session IPA - Pale Ale malt with Vienna, Munich, C-20, El Dorado & Mosaic hops. I got 81% AA - 4.5% ABV. I tapped it last night for the first time & loved it. Nice tropical fruit notes.

Gotcha. All fine and well.

I will say that if you are racking onto a yeast cake of 007, then this will be 100% or nearly 100% of the character you will get as the verdant won’t even have an opportunity to get through the growth phase before it is out competed by the 007 due to the massive differences in cell counts.

I would suggest making a small starter using the entire pack of verdant and then 4 table spoons of the 007 cake. This will allow you to get more character from the verdant, since that’s what your aiming for.
I may meet you half way on that suggestion

Last edited:
Back