Really want to try Pliny The Elder (Trade)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I've heard so many amazing things about Pliny, both on HBT and elsewhere. I'd like to offer a trade. I'll ship a bottle (22oz bomber) of an east coast only beer in exchange for someone shipping me a bomber of Pliny. PM me if interested.

Oh man, I was just by RR 2 days ago, didn't think to grab any. They're about an hour away for me. Someone on here should be able to score you some. There are several members in the Santa Rosa area. The Pliny comes in 16.9 oz bottles though just so you know.

I'll keep you in mind if i see it. Nobody should have to search it out like this, that just isn't fair ;) I only see it come down here about once a month in bottles. It's on tap quite a few places around me all the time though, so i'm not REALLY searching for it that often. Anyways, enough of making you jealous, i'll look and see when it comes around.

Jwood said:
I'll keep you in mind if i see it. Nobody should have to search it out like this, that just isn't fair ;) I only see it come down here about once a month in bottles. It's on tap quite a few places around me all the time though. Anyways, enough of making you jealous, i'll look and see when it comes around.

It's funny, you living half a state away from the brewery and having it on tap everywhere. I live less than an hour from the brewery, and have to drive there to get it. They don't distribute it anywhere north of the brewery with the exception of one town that's right to the north. I had never even heard of the beer till I got on this forum, the brewery isn't in a part of Santa Rosa that I really go through normally.

Well, i wouldn't say it is everywhere, but San Diego has a huge craft beer scene. So we get a lot of great beers on tap. I think Pliny has become one of the standards for a good craft beer bar down here.

Just don't ship USPS... they opened my box... and held it late. It was the shippers fault for using them after I specifically told them not to. But my 2 bottles came in yesterday. Now i have to send out equivalent trade in Dunkin Donuts coffee... that my friend can't get out there!

Reaver said:
Now i have to send out equivalent trade in Dunkin Donuts coffee... that my friend can't get out there!

I'm trying, but I just can't seem to put Pliny the Elder and Dunkin' Donuts coffee on the same plateau. ;)

Yeah I'm done with UPS. Unless you're shipping something big its insane. Went there yesterday to ship a few parcels. Two of them weighed under a pound each, one was $10 the other was $12. The $10 one was making a 50 mile trip. A larger box was $28. USPS saved me almost $35, and they didn't hassle me over what was in the boxes.

I think Pliny has become one of the standards for a good craft beer bar down here.

Every time I hear people talk about something like Pliny or Stone or Dogfish Head brews as though they're ubiquitous I have to question why I live where I do, but that's a big part of why I homebrew: I can make beer I like that I can't find on the shelves :mug:

hoppedupbrewer said:
Every time I hear people talk about something like Pliny or Stone or Dogfish Head brews as though they're ubiquitous I have to question why I live where I do, but that's a big part of why I homebrew: I can make beer I like that I can't find on the shelves :mug:

Fargo, North Dakota... Doh! I would be having the same questions ;)

EDIT: jesus... next Monday you have an expected high of 19 degrees...

bottlebomber said:
Fargo, North Dakota... Doh! I would be having the same questions ;)

EDIT: jesus... next Monday you have an expected high of 19 degrees...

That's sweatshirt weather...it gets -40F without the wind sometimes.

Someone wanted me to ship him some but it was too expensive for him. He wanted three Plinys and three Blind Pigs.. They would have come to $30 plus tax.. Well, the killer was UPS.. cost more to ship the bottles than the price of the brew. Came to about $75..

I love Pliny.. but not that much.

HbgBill said:
Someone wanted me to ship him some but it was too expensive for him. He wanted three Plinys and three Blind Pigs.. They would have come to $30 plus tax.. Well, the killer was UPS.. cost more to ship the bottles than the price of the brew. Came to about $75..

I love Pliny.. but not that much.

I bought a case of Pliny last month and did several swaps on here... let's just say that between the Pliny and all the other regional brews that everyone had to try, I think I spent $150 on shipping. Im gonna give it a few months before I do any more swap.

>Fargo, North Dakota... Doh! I would be having the same questions
>
>EDIT: jesus... next Monday you have an expected high of 19 degrees...
>That's sweatshirt weather...it gets -40F without the wind sometimes.

Send some cold weather down to TN and N Carolina immediately... it is horribly hot for this time of year and I want to go snowboarding for cheap! I did go to Big Sky Montana one year where it was -40 with NO wind chill LOL... cars will not start past -16 or so without a block heater... I learned that lesson...

Just posted this somewhere else. I just got some Pliny through the mail. Keep in mind, it's going to cost $10-$20 to ship from California for 1-6 bottles through UPS.

If anyone's interested:

More Wines

Blackwells Wine & Spirits

I love Pliny.. but not that much.[/QUOTE]

I continue to be a bit perplexed by the Pliny obsession, although I too was at one time on the quest to acquire the Holy Grail. I have ready access to Pliny in Denver CO both in bottle and often on tap. I have had it numerous times and while it is indeed a very good IIPA, I personally would choose a bottle of O'Dell Mycenary over a bottle of Pliny if given the choice.

Can you get Surly Furious?
that is the only beer I want in a Pliny swap. Please dont bother w PMs offering me other beers.
thanks.

I am so late to this game but is anyone up for swapping Furious for Pliny the Elder? I am in MN and can get Furious.

Thanks!

Back