Weight of Beer Kegs in Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey HBT...

My new keezer build is ready for kegs. I'll mostly be serving Homebrew from it but will also have commercial beer on occasion. Some of the beers I'm interested in are only available in 1/4 barrel kegs instead of 1/6 barrel "slims". I've got the vertical and horizontal space but these weigh ~29 pounds more than a slim and ~38 more pounds than a Homebrew keg.

This got me wondering if anyone has any insight into what concerns, if any, there might be for having too much weight on the bottom of the keezer from too much beer.

I've never heard of any problems and sure cant find any guidance. But it occurred to me that these chest freezers may not have been designed to support the amount of weight that they could be subjected to if filled to maximum capacity. I could fit 6 - 1/4 barrel kegs in my new keezer which is a whopping ~522 pounds compared to ~294 pounds for 6 homebrew kegs... That's a bit of a delta!

Any thoughts or comments? I'd just hate to induce some type of stress related failure by putting more weight on the bottom than it can handle. I may be overthinking things but its info I couldn't find anywhere.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but I know frozen food is heavy.

My big concern is denting the freezer with concentrated pressure. I built a wooden platform to hold a keg.

If you drink them faster, it wouldn't weigh as much.

I wouldn't really worry about it. Those things are made to support some weight. You'll only run into the worst case scenario with 6 full kegs at once. I don't think anyone here has met that unicorn.

I could fit 6 - 1/4 barrel kegs in my new keezer which is a whopping ~522 pounds compared to ~294 pounds for 6 homebrew kegs
If you can fit 6 1/4 barrel kegs then you can probably fit 9 corny kegs, which is less of a delta. And a lot of empty space that you would be tempted to fill with something else if you only used your keezer for homebrew.

You didn't say what size your freezer is, but FWIW a 14 CF freezer can hold over 500 lbs of meat.

If you can fit 6 1/4 barrel kegs then you can probably fit 9 corny kegs, which is less of a delta. And a lot of empty space that you would be tempted to fill with something else if you only used your keezer for homebrew.

You didn't say what size your freezer is, but FWIW a 14 CF freezer can hold over 500 lbs of meat.

Yeah, I overstated how many 1/4 barrel kegs I could fit. Probably only 5 and it would be tight. Same for my 6 homebrew keg (pin-locks) scenario. I can do 6 pin-locks but it would be tight. I have a 10.2 CF chest freezer btw..

But this doesn't really change the goal of the question I'm asking. Sounds like it probably isn't anything to worry about but its still a question.

Back