REALLY disappointed with morebeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
Recently I placed an order with Morebeer (12% off sale day). I tried to place the order on my fire tablet and the Morebeer site kept dropping my information. I never got to the place order icon or put in the credit card info or put in the code to get the 12% discount. So I went to the computer to make the order which worked.
On delivery day two packages arrived. One with a tracking number I was never sent and the second one with the tracking number I was emailed when I placed that order. The first one had Stephen Daniel which I never use. The second had Steve on the address label. For some reason they decided to apply the credit card info from the second order to the first even though their system didn't allow me to input the information on the first order.
I called and talked to a customer service rep who issued a return shipping label. The return arrived Monday. On Wednesday the second charge had not been taken off the card so I called again and was told, "I'll give this to our return person right away". Just checked and the charge is still there.
I plan to check again tomorrow and if it's still there will call again. I won't be nasty but will let them know that this is unacceptable and I am on the verge of contacting the credit card company and getting them involved. Not to mention getting on all the Facebook homebrew club forums and other internet homebrew discussion groups that I'm part of and letting as many people as possible know how badly this has been handled.

That's unfortunate. I've had mixed experiences with MoreBeer, specifically when processing a return/exchange but it ended up being stellar at the end. Due to that, my opinion of them is favorable.

In reading your post, it seems there are a couple different things that occurred, which led to the situation you're currently in, all of which have led to a disappointing experience with MoreBeer.

I know when I'm processing a return, I typically expect to wait 3-5 business days for anything to actually happen on the CC end. Take into the account the time of year, compiled with assumed staffing shortages and you have a perfect storm for unhappiness all around. I'd give it a couple more days, I'm sure it will turn out fine.

This will be an "interesting stress test" for MoreBeer's customer service. Ordering using a fire tablet is unusual, but automation needs to either 1) support the device, 2) reject the device, or 3) detect that an order is failing.

@SteveRush, are they clearly communicating when to expect 'next steps' (like reversing the credit card transaction) to occur?

I have to admit, I like them. I have a small retail outlet about 30 mins from me and the guys there have always been very helpful. They do sometimes push certain products, but that might be a personal preference. I am ok with that. I have ordered stuff to be picked up there so I can do a bit of window shopping as well. Every order I have placed, and I will say that it has not been a super huge list, has been filled perfectly and the products have been good. But, I can see that being a bigger online business you can run into issues. Good luck. RR

Typical. I placed order last year and they wanted to make an addition shipping charge. I put in all my info correctly. I cancelled the order. Such BS. Don't buy from them. A dollar or two savings ain't worth the trouble. But it isn't always just them. Northern had a pump I wanted. Obviously it wasn't in stock even though system said it was. 2 weeks late when it arrived. I got a 10% off coupon whoopee. Didn't and don't plan on using

Relax. You should be good. As mentioned refunds on returns take a little longer especially this time of year when the volume to be processed is way up and these often need to be done manually.

You should have your return receipts documenting that you complied with their return policy. This is useful since you can give a copy to your credit card company. By using your credit card you have built in protection. You can file a claim which automatically puts the charge on hold and the CC company notifies the merchant they have a set period of time to validate the charge. SInce you did return it with their return label it should be a not brainer and you won't see anything other than the CC notice to you that the reversal is permanent.

But be patient. I'm sure your credit is forth coming. We get used to seeing charges hit of phones while we are still at a check out counter but reversals take longer

Call again to check, but this time get an email you can send an inquiry and confirmation to just in case where you can document with whom you have spoken dates, what was said , the tracking number on the return and the original invoice,. This can help the person in the return dept expedite your refund, give you a prompt update, help keep it from falling through the cracks and be used for your CC claim if you need to go that route.

fwiw, on any return or refund I start by contacting he company by email first to be able to have documentation that I might need later.

This will be an "interesting stress test" for MoreBeer's customer service. Ordering using a fire tablet is unusual, but automation needs to either 1) support the device, 2) reject the device, or 3) detect that an order is failing.

@SteveRush, are they clearly communicating when to expect 'next steps' (like reversing the credit card transaction) to occur?
They received the return Monday afternoon.
Early Wednesday I was told "I'll give this to our returns person right away" Thursday evening the charge is still there.
I've placed orders to Morebeer on my tablet before with no issue. Also to ritebrew, Hopcraft, and Great Fermentations with no issue.

Eight days after receiving the returned items morebeer still hadn't processed the credit card refund. We called the credit card company to dispute the charge and no refund was pending. Interestingly enough three hours after calling the credit card company I got an e-mail from morebeer with a credit memo for the disputed amount.
This entire situation has felt borderline scammy. And I won't be using morebeer again.

Back