Random Beer Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I check the GI site a week or so ago and saw they are doing a double barrel variant. I haven’t bought BCBS for a few years now but I would buy this one if I came across one.

spoiler alert
I probably won’t

It was made available at the Prop Day thing, but the rest (presumably?) will be sold via lottery (since closed), with a no-proxy IP pick-up at the Chicago production facility. $55/ea.

I've got to admit that it's funny that the second barrel of the double barrel is a another Elijah Craig Barrel, but neckbeards from several states away will be explaining to their S/O's that they need to spend a day driving to Chicago for one bottle, "and you've gotta come to because your entry is the one that won".

There will be divorces.

I need something more than a like button for this post.
It was made available at the Prop Day thing, but the rest (presumably?) will be sold via lottery (since closed), with a no-proxy IP pick-up at the Chicago production facility. $55/ea.

I've got to admit that it's funny that the second barrel of the double barrel is a another Elijah Craig Barrel, but neckbeards from several states away will be explaining to their S/O's that they need to spend a day driving to Chicago for one bottle, "and you've gotta come to because your entry is the one that won".

There will be divorces.
So the DB is Chicago only? Ugh!! Also I found it curious using same barrels but liked how they called out it was aged twice and not a blend of the same batch aged in to different barrels. And you are spot on with the analysis!

edit: aged in two different barrels

I need something more than a like button for this post.

So the DB is Chicago only? Ugh!! Also I found it curious using same barrels but liked how they called out it was aged twice and not a blend of the same batch aged in to different barrels. And you are spot on with the analysis!

edit: aged in two different barrels

It's unclear if the lottery accounts for everything not sold at Prop Day or if they'll do something else for other markets. Meanwhile, they're distributing nationally a "Two-Year Reserve" that's the same beer left in the 11yr barrels for two years at about half the price...

To keep you occupied in line

E242D864-EC42-4D08-B1AE-AC3AB51896BB.png

Last edited:
“The guy was telling us we were a bunch of idiots waiting online for beer...”
He’s not wrong though. And I just love the tone of the article. “Hops hipsters “ :p lastly $18 4/pk that’s a bargain compared to Modern Times sales:confused:

I'm excited to announce that BeerAdvocate and Untappd have joined forces under the Next Glass umbrella. BeerAdvocate will maintain its distinct brand identity, and continue as its own community, website, series of events, and beyond.

We've been struggling to keep the lights on for over two years, and we still face some challenges, but I'm confident that this is the best path for all of us. Next Glass is committed to not only helping BeerAdvocate, but passionate about protecting and cultivating our unique culture, identity, and community.

I also have a lot of respect for what Greg Avola, Untappd's Co-Founder and CTO, and team have built over the past nine years, and this next chapter is a great opportunity to explore new features and opportunities. Untappd brings over 100 talented coworkers, killer app development, and powerful sales and insights to the table. BeerAdvocate brings nearly a quarter of a century of advocating for beer, the benchmark for beer reviews, an awesome community, the internet's largest beer forum, a decade of publishing experience and award-winning content, over 70 world-class beer events, and our "Respect Beer" motto.

Together, under one banner, BeerAdvocate and Untappd will explore ways to collaborate, strengthen both communities, and provide unmatched resources for its users and the industry.

It's a bittersweet moment, but I'm excited for the future and look forward to working with my new coworkers in taking BeerAdvocate to the next level. And get ready, Brooklyn. Extreme Beer Fest cometh this September. More on that soon...

In the meantime, I'm sure many of you will have questions and concerns. I might not have all the answers right now, but I encourage you to post them and I'll do my best.

As always, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Todd Alström
Founder, BeerAdvocate

I'm excited to announce that BeerAdvocate and Untappd have joined forces under the Next Glass umbrella. BeerAdvocate will maintain its distinct brand identity, and continue as its own community, website, series of events, and beyond.

We've been struggling to keep the lights on for over two years, and we still face some challenges, but I'm confident that this is the best path for all of us. Next Glass is committed to not only helping BeerAdvocate, but passionate about protecting and cultivating our unique culture, identity, and community.

I also have a lot of respect for what Greg Avola, Untappd's Co-Founder and CTO, and team have built over the past nine years, and this next chapter is a great opportunity to explore new features and opportunities. Untappd brings over 100 talented coworkers, killer app development, and powerful sales and insights to the table. BeerAdvocate brings nearly a quarter of a century of advocating for beer, the benchmark for beer reviews, an awesome community, the internet's largest beer forum, a decade of publishing experience and award-winning content, over 70 world-class beer events, and our "Respect Beer" motto.

Together, under one banner, BeerAdvocate and Untappd will explore ways to collaborate, strengthen both communities, and provide unmatched resources for its users and the industry.

It's a bittersweet moment, but I'm excited for the future and look forward to working with my new coworkers in taking BeerAdvocate to the next level. And get ready, Brooklyn. Extreme Beer Fest cometh this September. More on that soon...

In the meantime, I'm sure many of you will have questions and concerns. I might not have all the answers right now, but I encourage you to post them and I'll do my best.

As always, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Todd Alström
Founder, BeerAdvocate

Gene should have held out longer. Missed opportunity for more trips to Kentucky.

"Joining forces"? They got bought, and from his own admission, they were bailed out.

I'd love data on how their forum activity has changed since, oh, 2013. But if I'm being honest, a lot of it is probably exogenous.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/untappds-parent-company-acquires-beer-advocate
Beer Advocate has soldiered on, maintaining its website, ratings system, online forum and beer festival business. The company also offered a paid membership called the Respect Beer Society that gave members special access and posting abilities, discounted event tickets and a banner-ad free view of the site. However, the membership system remains under maintenance and unable to accept new members.

...Maybe not all of it, though.

he actually kind of somewhat lamented not getting work from them in a while.

They were all too similar man, at least IMO. No style or imagery changes over the years, first it was bad Tyler Stout knock offs, then he had an animal phase, then mandalas or some **** and I lost track, he just settled into a style and ran with it for at least a year and when you pump out 25 for the same band, people get meh. A lot of his sat on Dry Goods literally years after the shows.

I have a Gordo signed one from when his terrible ****ing solo band played here on their first outing. That band can **** right off.

They were all too similar man, at least IMO. No style or imagery changes over the years, first it was bad Tyler Stout knock offs, then he had an animal phase, then mandalas or some **** and I lost track, he just settled into a style and ran with it for at least a year and when you pump out 25 for the same band, people get meh. A lot of his sat on Dry Goods literally years after the shows.

I have a Gordo signed one from when his terrible ****ing solo band played here on their first outing. That band can **** right off.

I have his 09 Fenway one but yeah that one that had a donkey holding an axe was on Dry Goods forever. The best one he probably ever did for them that was unique was the SuperBall one. Agree that he tends to stick to one theme for way to long.

Weird. Is there another post saying it’s canceled? Not trying to belittle the incident just the article reporting seems odd.

Back