Random Beer Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that site is flourishing while this one is nearly dead. What's that? Neither one has any traffic anymore?

Off to the Trump thread I go.

Who says the other site doesn’t have traffic?

C8A4987A-FD30-4089-AB00-AFD4F9C9164A.jpeg

2336F475-41EF-4FED-A56F-C36A4E686A7D.jpeg

That's easily the most trafficked page on that new site. But what does that really say?

All the folks that can't go a day without drinking made the move?

I find the other site just as dead as this site, when it comes to human interaction, etc.

Not just that. Look at any of the other threads or sections and there are threads with multiple posts and multiple threads bumped daily.

So yeah basically what it was here they’ve just talking about the same stuff over there now. (Except Toxic because censorship is the new black)

Who says the other site doesn’t have traffic?

View attachment 9089

View attachment 9091

I've never been one to comment on the DDT on either site. Just don't really give a **** to share what I'm drinking each night. However, the RTT here was always far more popping than the new one on the other site. Oh well, just sucks that both are relatively dead.

The problem with Talkbeer is it just started feeling like a bouncehouse with half the air let out. That bounehouse has more air. I didn't leave because they started asking for money, but it was shitty they started asking after the site started performing poorly. The problem is that people left even before DDT and lots of those people probably have no idea the alternative is even there.

The problem with Talkbeer is it just started feeling like a bouncehouse with half the air let out. That bounehouse has more air. I didn't leave because they started asking for money, but it was shitty they started asking after the site started performing poorly. The problem is that people left even before DDT and lots of those people probably have no idea the alternative is even there.

Yeah this place felt different after the sale. And so many people left that new glassware wasn’t deemed feasible. Now there is no merch at all now. At this point the only merch that might sell is something about a Pulitzer or a Gaspar.

That bounehouse has more air.
Does it? I mean, it does now of course, but does it have more air than pre-DDT TB?

Seems to me like it's a smaller subset (and yes, most of the active users) of what TB was.

Personally, it made me question how much time I spend on a beer site when I'm not really into beer like I once was. I definitely don't need/want to be active on two sites and trump thread is more interesting than the rest of it.

Personally, it made me question how much time I spend on a beer site when I'm not really into beer like I once was.

I mean...isn't this the crux of it? How do you make a satisfactory beer discussion forum for a group of people who are now indifferent to new happenings in craft beer, if not aggressively jaded about craft beer? It's not that surprising to see that the most active General Beer thread on DDT is "I Hate Beer".

It's sometimes easy to forget that TB was a forum built for the express purpose of housing BeerAdvocate refugees that found the management of that forum to be untenable. For some people the porridge is never "just right", and if you don't even give a **** about the name on the door the problem is compounded.

I mean...isn't this the crux of it? How do you make a satisfactory beer discussion forum for a group of people who are now indifferent to new happenings in craft beer, if not aggressively jaded about craft beer? It's not that surprising to see that the most active General Beer thread on DDT is "I Hate Beer".

It's sometimes easy to forget that TB was a forum built for the express purpose of housing BeerAdvocate refugees that found the management of that forum to be untenable. For some people the porridge is never "just right", and if you don't even give a **** about the name on the door the problem is compounded.

Plus with places like Facebook or Reddit you can get a free space going to talk/trade. Paying for and creating a niche forum (and then getting people to sign up!) seems outdated at this point.

I always likened the creation of TalkBeer to The Matrix sequels... hear me out.

In the sequels you find out that every few centuries the freed humans create an underground city, which the Machines eventually destroy, and then it happens again. Before TalkBeer there was The Beer Spot, another forum that (to my knowledge) was built by people fed up with BeerAdvocate.

For all we know there could be another group of BA refugees that came after us somewhere else talking about beer sometimes but mostly the Trump Presidency and whether or not a hot dog is a sandwich.

I always likened the creation of TalkBeer to The Matrix sequels... hear me out.

In the sequels you find out that every few centuries the freed humans create an underground city, which the Machines eventually destroy, and then it happens again. Before TalkBeer there was The Beer Spot, another forum that (to my knowledge) was built by people fed up with BeerAdvocate.

For all we know there could be another group of BA refugees that came after us somewhere else talking about beer sometimes but mostly the Trump Presidency and whether or not a hot dog is a sandwich.
source.gif

Does it? I mean, it does now of course, but does it have more air than pre-DDT TB?

Seems to me like it's a smaller subset (and yes, most of the active users) of what TB was.

Personally, it made me question how much time I spend on a beer site when I'm not really into beer like I once was. I definitely don't need/want to be active on two sites and trump thread is more interesting than the rest of it.

I'd venture a guess a lot of members had retreated to talking in a handful of threads or just PMs and decided after the sale and poor functionality to finally break loose and move their conversations to social media/apps. Those people were never coming back here as active members or moving to another beer-ish forum.

You would think an owner who makes money from users using the site would have a plan to expand the user base but that doesn't seem to be the case. I strongly suspect toxic topics directly and indirectly keeps barely enough users on the site for it to break even financially.

I'd venture a guess a lot of members had retreated to talking in a handful of threads or just PMs and decided after the sale and poor functionality to finally break loose and move their conversations to social media/apps. Those people were never coming back here as active members or moving to another beer-ish forum.

You would think an owner who makes money from users using the site would have a plan to expand the user base but that doesn't seem to be the case. I strongly suspect toxic topics directly and indirectly keeps barely enough users on the site for it to break even financially.
Define a lot here, because I see like 5 "old" people on the new site that had not been active on this one.

Possibly. Then again I didn’t cower over to another site when someone asked for money.

Woah woah woah, this is not what it was about at all. If you'd like to PM me brother, I will be 100% transparent about its conception to fruition. It had nothing to do with money so please don't paint that narrative. There were just fundamental differences and NO it has nothing to do with Toxic Topics or any of that **** so please don't come at that angle too.

**** why did I click this thread. I am not gonna get into it with you guys cause I like you all. **** happened, I am here and there and no it's not just about me but I am with Nate, I think a good chunk of people took a break after the sale and never came back or found other avenues.

There is no butthurt or malice or anything with DDT and TB. Christ, Fenyx and I are personal friends, we talk quite frequently actually. Her and her team can do as they choose and I can do what I get outvoted on lol.

also drunk so, shocking, I know.

I could tell.

I really don’t care just like to point out how things happened to be timed to be where TB sent out the PM (from an anonymous account) asking for a donation at then Ryan started telling everyone to join DDT. I know DDT started before that PM was sent.

It was shitty what happened but whateves. There are worse atrocities happening in the word. (As evidenced in the Trump thread. Pulitzer coming in 2020)

Love you, boo.

Wearing a Phish shirt now.

FBDE3B88-814D-4117-BBF0-1062F6624713.jpeg

Also on beer. Maybe not as much as you though.

I could tell.

I really don’t care just like to point out how things happened to be timed to be where TB sent out the PM (from an anonymous account) asking for a donation at then Ryan started telling everyone to join DDT. I know DDT started before that PM was sent.

It was shitty what happened but whateves. There are worse atrocities happening in the word. (As evidenced in the Trump thread. Pulitzer coming in 2020)

Love you, boo.

View attachment 9100

You splurge for the webbie man?

I could tell.

Love you, boo.

View attachment 9100

More WhalezB4Rarez selfies would for sure cause a spike in traffic over here

Woah woah woah, this is not what it was about at all. If you'd like to PM me brother, I will be 100% transparent about its conception to fruition. It had nothing to do with money so please don't paint that narrative. There were just fundamental differences and NO it has nothing to do with Toxic Topics or any of that **** so please don't come at that angle too.
Yeah sorry I don't believe this.

Back