Quick question about a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgman

Reaction score
I just brewed for the first time in about 5 years.

I started off with a partial grain partial extract molasses porter.

The wort looked beautiful, dark and thick.

That was Sunday. I just snuck some to do a Hydrometer reading and it has lightened to the color of a dark amber.

Is there anything that I can do to darken the beer? It tastes great. Nice and smokey malt with a hop finish.

I can't wait for it to be done but the color definitely is NOT porter.

Just relax and have a beer. You should be leaving something like this in primary for AT LEAST 3 weeks before even worrying about a hydrometer reading. At that point, you'll probably notice it's changed colors.

The problem is, there's yeast in suspension right now. All of that yeast reflects light and is most likely making your beer appear lighter than it is.

if you just want the color, drop in 1/2 lb of dark brown sugar into the porter

Um... I'd avoid that. It'll increase the alcohol, thin out the body, and not contribute that much color. Instead, I'd go to your local homebrew store and get some dehusked carafa special III. Grind it super fine in a coffee grinder and then cold steep in cold water. Filter out the grains, boil to sanitize the mix, cool, and add to your fermenter. This will add significant color without contributing to the flavor too much.

Latest posts

Back