Fermentation, conditioning, carbonating of extract beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_James

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to homebrewing and self-taught (from the internet) and I have some questions. I just started an English porter from an extract recipe in primary fermentation a few days ago. Do extract beers behave differently from all grain beers as far as secondary fermentation/bottle conditioning goes? I've read quite a bit on this forum and others about bottle conditioning dark beers like porter with somewhat inconclusive results.

The differences range from broad to subtle depending on the palate of the drinker. My own prefernces lean to the dark-amber English style, and while my extract-brews have been fully satisfying (to me), each step from steeping to all-grain has given greater complexity. Though I love my extracts, I've learned that for my own tastes, I can make something I enjoy even more with all-grain.
That said, like others will come in here with: Skip the secondary and always remember Time and Patience are your new best friends. Most dark beers benefit greatly from times far longer in the fermenter than kit-instructions advise.

What @Broken Crow said.

IME the darker the beer, the greater the benefit from longer bottle conditioning. Brewed an Oatmeal Stout that I forgot about the last few bottles until it was a year old. They were great. To my taste buds, the best OS I've had including commercial brews.

Enjoy the ride!
It's too bad you opened them too early, they would have gotten better.

Latest posts

Back