Malt Syrup / Liquid Malt Extract flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMStewart

Reaction score
I am trying to make Root Beer for the first time, and found a recipe that uses a Malt Syrup as a sweetener. This interests me because it seems that the Malt Syrup would do 3 things - add sweetness, darken the root beer, and possibly add to it's ability to foam (head). However, I am unfamiliar with Liquid Malt Syrup/extract. Can anyone help me with what the flavor of it is, and how it compares to the flavor that Molasses would add (or just the flavor of both in general)?

I also know that most are made from Barley, but I've seen some that are made all or partially of Wheat malt. What would the difference be there? Any at all? I am kind of an experimentalist at heart, so this all is interesting to me, I just don't have money to waste testing every option so I thought I'd ask folks here for info on malt syrup. Thanks so much.

- Colby

Latest posts

Back