Mole Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Imperial A10 Darkness
Yeast Starter
n/a, but probably a good idea
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Tasting Notes
Sweeter than intended -- could have benefited from more yeast. Spice reasonably subtle.
The idea for this beer came from a thread about very complex malt bills. @Holden Caulfield wrote: "Anything more than 5 grains, not including acidulated malt, is making a muddy mess - we're not making curry or mole." @GoodTruble responded: "Molé porter! Genius!" I thought: why not?

For a 5-gallon batch, I mashed 17 pounds of 2-row and 1 pound of 60L crystal at 155°F. Boiled with the rinsate from steeping 1 pound of chocolate malt and 1 pound of Carafa II, along with an ounce each of 9.9% α-acid Centennial and 7.7% α-acid Cascade. Yeast: Imperial A10 Darkness.

I infused chili peppers (2 guajillos, 2 anchos, 3 chipotles) stemmed & seeded, broken up in 7 oz. of Everclear. I wasn't sure how hot that would be so I separately infused the other Mole spices in 1 oz. of Everclear: a cinnamon stick, 2T cumin seeds, 1T thyme, 1/4t cloves. After a week, I poured the infustions through a strainer into the keg that later received the fermented Porter.

The result is a yummy dessert Porter with subtle-to-moderate spicy character. Some tasters, not told about the recipe, don't immediately notice the spice, which surprises me because I definitely taste them. But it confirms how expectations shape our perception, and how much palates (tongues?) vary.

Reminds me of The Vixen from Sam Adams, that was a great beer and this one sounds good too. It was 8.5% ABV as well I see close to yours (it came in 22 OZ bottles :cool:

Mole Porter, great idea!
And right up my alley too! Yumm...

How long was this fermenting and at what temp?
Any after-fermentation conditioning/aging?

Did you scrape out and discard all the seeds and innards, just keeping the (pericarp) shells?
Do you taste any heat from them in the resulting beer?

I started in the low 60s, moved the brew to the purged keg with my spice infusion after 30 days, and kept it in the mid 60s for another ~3 weeks (records incomplete on this timing).

The peppers being dried, only the seeds and stems were removed. Not a lot of capsaicin heat from these. If you want more heat you'd need to consider additional chili peppers.

Adding an habanero or two to the infusion should do the trick. Or do that in a separate infusion (third? or combine the less-hot peppers with the other spices but keep the high-heat pepper separate.) I'd try sample dilutions to get the desired amount of heat.

Happy brewing!

Nice! This is right up my alley. Any thoughts on making it more savory than sweet? I had a rosemary saison from Lickinghole Creek a few years ago. More savory and on its own was not good. Paired with cheese it was amazing!

making it more savory than sweet
Best guesses: mash at 148°F, cut the crystal malt in half, substitute sugar for some of the base malt (or just reduce base malt), choose a higher attenuation yeast. Also, patience: some here have reported that sweetness can decline with time.

Perceived sweetness can be tricky.

Cheers!

Back