Question re using WLP300 and dried lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anduin

Reaction score
I just pitched yeast into a weizenbock using a starter from a previous batch of hefeweizen (using WLP300 hefeweizen strain) and 1 packet of rehydraded lager yeast. I know this may seem weird and unorthodoxed, but my thinking is to try and strike a blance between the two yeasts. I've read that WLP300 is best to ferment at 62 degrees, and of course lager yeast should be around 50 degrees depending. So I am currently fermenting at 56-58 degrees, plan to raise to 62-64 by thend of week one or two, and then lager the beer.

My question is has anyone out there tryed some kind of ale/lager yeast hybrid like this before? What were your results? Does any commercial brewery do this? I've heared that some commercial beers are bottled-conditioned with lager yeast. Any feedback? Thanks!

-Anduin

One yeast strain will likely dominate. The lager yeast will produce high(er) levels of diacetyl, potentially unpleasant esters and fusel alcohols. I'd give this beer a good diacetyl rest before racking to secondary.

is there a way you can tell if you have infected one of your strains? The list of questions is endless. I would love for some of the more experienced yeast-wranglers to put together a comprehensive guide to setting up a yeast bank that is easy to follow and easy to execute. Maybe this can become a sticky eventually.

Back