Anyone tried brewing a Voss kveik lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I'm so tried of all the fruity esters ale yeast produce
I brewed a porter at 18c and its like I'm drinking an orange juice
Most commercial beers I'm used to are lagers
They're malty
I want to brew a lager but I can't find any lager yeast for now, Voss kveik is on the market for a reasonable price
I also have s04 which I can brew with at 17c
Two things I really care about are clarity and cleanliness, I have access to some fining agents
for a malt forward beer, which yeast should I go with? Or should I just wait a few weeks for some lager yeast to become available?

I would absolutely not recommend Voss Kveik for a lager. I've tried it in other styles and for me it always gives a taste of over-ripe oranges. You may be able to hide that taste, somewhat, in a tropical/fruity pale ale or ipa, but not in a lager. I've also tried Lutra Kveik and found that it's a bit cleaner tasting, but still nowhere near as clean as a lager yeast.

I would absolutely not recommend Voss Kveik for a lager. I've tried it in other styles and for me it always gives a taste of over-ripe oranges. You may be able to hide that taste, somewhat, in a tropical/fruity pale ale or ipa, but not in a lager. I've also tried Lutra Kveik and found that it's a bit cleaner tasting, but still nowhere near as clean as a lager yeast.
Can I use s04 at low temps like 16?

What yeast did you use in your Porter?

I agree that Voss fermented around 18C will still produce ale like esters with some orange notes. Less than at 30C or higher, but it will still be there. Though you might enjoy a simple "Blonde Ale" made with Voss. Do you have access to any other Kveik strains? Lutra is sold as a dry form and is more neutral than Voss.

I have used Fermentis W-34/70 at 17C a few times and it comes out clean if you can get your hands on that. S-04 is a fairly clean ale strain, and would also be a good choice for a Blonde Ale style beer.

I'm consistently amazed at S-04 when I use it in my fall / winter beers, that ferment outside in my shed; ambient temps can get pretty low, the fermenter temp is in the mid 50s, and the yeast still seems pretty happy. Super clean when finished.

Though you might enjoy a simple "Blonde Ale" made with Voss. Do you have access to any other Kveik strains? Lutra is sold as a dry form and is more neutral than Voss.
I recently did a Centennial/Cascade Blonde Ale from a recipe posted here elsewhere. I subbed Lutra for the Notty and fermented at ambient temperature which was getting my temp up into the upper 80’s.

I gather it’s probably not what the OP is looking for, but I was tickled with results. All who have tried it were pleased.

Back