predictions ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellofello

Reaction score
I'm interested if anyone has any predictions what this beer I made today may taste like ? It's okay to say if you think it will be crappy, but if you could be a little more descriptive it would be helpful too. I am after all posting in beginner.

What happened was I had bought a bunch of LME a few months back. Now I'm working on an all grain setup and wanted to use up some of this LME. I built a keggle out of 1/2 barrel (15.5 gal) and have a large bayou classic burner. The LME I had on hand was 12 lbs. Gold, 6 lbs. Amber, 6 lbs. dark, and 6 lbs. wheat. I decided to use the 12 lbs. Gold and 6 lbs Amber to make one large batch, and by approximating, guessing, and rounding decided I could probably make somewhere around 13 gallons using just the 18 lbs. combined LME.

So good, bad or other wise that's what I used, no steeping grains, no crystal malt, etc.. just 12 lbs gold LME, and 6 lbs amber LME. I think Breiss is the brand. I managed to get it boiling okay. added about 2 oz. Nugget hops right away. added 2 oz. of vanguard hops after 45 minutes or so. added heaping 1/2 teaspoon irish moss stuff mixed up in water about 50 minutes in, added about 2 oz. of Saaz hops about 55 minutes and shut er down about 5 minutes later.

I put the stuff in 4 sanitized buckets with lids and airlocks. I kind of sloshed it back and forth between buckets a few times, hopefully plenty of oxygen.

the yeast is Munton's active brewing yeast which I did not make a starter, just sprinkled one pack on top each bucket before closing. One more thing you may laugh at is I didn't have any vodka so I put some mouthwash in the airlocks. In hindsight that was kind of dumb cuz if it gets sucked in somehow it may kill yeast ? I dunno, but as long as it doesn't go in hopefully be alright.

It's about 62-65 degrees I think in my basement so that part should be good but I'll leave a thermometer and make sure. stuff seems to be bubbling already, but maybe it's just adjusting temperature or something.

Oh, one last thing that's kind of funny. I have nowhere near enough bottles, and no kegging system for this stuff yet ! so much for planning ahead, eh ? saw a couple guys in my area with kegerator's, korney kegs and CO2 setup on craigslist though..... guess it's either that or else buy or collect and wash a bunch of bottles in the next couple weeks, eh ?

so what do you think, you give my beer a 50/50 or better chance of being drinkable ?

should be fine. maybe a bit boring and one-dimensional since there were no specialty grains involved, but should be OK.

Ok.. and this business about putting vodka (or mouthwash) in your airlock is a load of crap, IMO. Plain old water works just dandy.

Walker said:
should be fine. maybe a bit boring and one-dimensional since there were no specialty grains involved, but should be OK.

Ok.. and this business about putting vodka (or mouthwash) in your airlock is a load of crap, IMO. Plain old water works just dandy.

+1 unless you are lagering at 34 degrees. Than maybe

Walker said:
water is perfectly happy at 34*F and just sits there being cold water.

I have mine in a garage that fluctuates between 30-40 degrees. I figured the airlock would freeze a lot faster than 5 gallons of beer. Didn't use mouthwash though

I have mine in a garage that fluctuates between 30-40 degrees. I figured the airlock would freeze a lot faster than 5 gallons of beer. Didn't use mouthwash though

oh, yeah.. if it drops down to 30*F, then it would probably freeze. A little salt would fix that though. :D

Agreed, why waste liquor?? Revvy posted something a while back with some valid points about it not being the end of the world forgeting to put anything in the air lock, so water should be just fine.

very well, it's water for me here on out. I'll be very happy with a boring, drinkable beer out of this. But just the same I think I'll try to follow recipe's from now on.

Sounds like I can justify the kegerator and korney keg set up then.

Latest posts

Back