CO2 Volumes for Heavy Fake Belgian With Good Head Retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being the person I am, I never really brew to a style, so my beers are always a little weird. I just made something somewhat like a heavy Belgian ale. OG 1.084, assuming my wonky measurements turned out to be right.

At 12 psi and 35 degrees (my keezer temperature for all beers), it's not making me happy. It needs a little bump in order to have a decent head and some CO2 sting. It's at 2.73 volumes. My other CO2 beers are happy with 10-12 psi and a little over 2.5 volumes. I'm reading that some people jack heavy CO2 beers up to 3.5 volumes. Is that really necessary, or will I be swimming in an ocean of foam? This beer likes to make a big head.

I just moved up to 3.32 volumes at 18 psi.

5 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1 lbs table sugar

This beer is amazing. Just fantastic by my standards. Exactly what I want in a Belgian ale, if I could find it in a store. I think I could dry-hop it more, though. Possibly with something other than Sabro. It's all Sabro. Maybe something orangey.

People say Sabro gives off citrus. Hard to tell, because this beer was originally Crystal and Nugget, and it wasn't that different. The malt and yeast must be making a lot of flavor. I would say it reminds me of tropical fruit Lifesavers. A little bit of pina colada.

Anyway, since no one answered, I'll follow up. I moved to 18 psi. That was three days back. I assume it will absorb more CO2. It's supposed to be at 3.32 volumes eventually, based on the chart.

Cranking up the CO2 was the right move. It came out with about one-third foam, to carry the aroma, and it had a lot of CO2 zing to it. I think when it equilibrates, it will be even better. Has to be dispensed pretty slowly, though.

Back