Prago Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a grain mill for steeping grains, still doing extract batches. I see a lot people talk about the corona mill but I have found a Prago grain mill I can get a few bucks cheaper. Does anyone know much about these or have any comments on quality?

I'm not familiar with the Prago mill, sorry I can't answer your question. If you are using steeping grains, though, and only need to crush a lb or two at a time, another option which would require no $$$ is to use a rolling pin, a cutting board and a dish towel to crush them. Because you are steeping with them (and not mashing), you don't need to worry too much about how fine the crush is. Just an FYI.

The "Corona" design is now built by a number of manufacturers and sold under different names (e.g., Grizzly, Victoria). The Prago looks to be the same design, and is probably another Chinese-manufactured mill. These mills tend to be manufactured with less than stringent tolerances, but many brewers (including Palmer) use them with great success, sometimes employing a few tweaks.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

I rigged mine up in a bucket according to WilserBrewer's design, and I am very happy with it.

If you are going to stick with extract and steeping grains, then use a rolling pin, bottle, or other household instrument. If you think you may progress to all-grain, then go for the Prago or another Corona knock-off. If money is no object, take a look at some of the roller mills.

Back