Potassium sorbate amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallerstang

Let it go
Reaction score
First time using potassium sorbate to stabilize - I'm bottling a blackberry & blackcurrant wine and sweetening it slightly to improve the flavour since blackcurrant can be a bit harsh.

Research tells me that 1/2 to 3/4 tsp per gallon is usual. However, the package that I bought (the contents look like cake sprinkles) says to use up to 1 tsp in five gallons. That's a lot less.

Does this stuff come in different strengths? Or is the package just giving me a different opinion?

Thanks in advance!

I've used the "cake sprinkles", and followed the labels recommended "dose" along with a campden tablet with good results.

The maximum concentration of sorbic acid allowed in finished wine is 300 mg/L, (300 ppm).

Potassium sorbate is 74% sorbic acid.

1 gal is 3.785L.

1.53 grams per gallon of potassium sorbate yields 300ppm sorbic acid.

The amount can be reduced, depending on ABV.

Average taste threshold is about 130ppm.

Hope this helps

Thanks RPh Guy and jonereb - that is most helpful.

Your info plus 5 g/tsp K sorbate per the package (rounded no doubt) gives:

Taste threshold 130 ppm is a little less than 1 tsp in 5 gallons, corresponding to the package instructions to use up to 1 tsp in 5 gallons.

Max concentration 300 ppm is about 0.4 tsp per gallon - so the 1/2-3/4 tsp per gallon that's often recommended is more than that.

I used 2 tsp in 4 gallons last night. Hope it's OK! Next time I'll use the package dosage.

Back