Sparkling Mojito Wine Kilju Recipe ver 1.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebass

Reaction score
Hi guys. I want to make Mojito sparkling Wine/Kilju using mint leaves and lime(s). I want original gravity to be 1.110 to yield 12-14% ABV. At the end i will make it sparkling wine and bottle it.

How much sugar in grams/oz/lbs would i need to achive this in 1gal of water? I've tried formula 1110/0.45=2467g of sugar, but that's 5.44 lbs of sugar. That is NOT correct!. Way too much sugar.

I've seen a guy add 3lbs of sugar to 1gal of water in carboy yield 1.076 OG which is close to what i want to do, so i'm thinking maybe 3.5-3.75 lbs of sugar but i want to calculate exact amount and formula i used fails.

Any ideas what i did wrong with my calculations? and suggestions to achieve this OG and feel free to improve this recipe?

Recipe i'm thinking of. Feel free to make suggestions and improvments.

1 gallon batch Recipe:

2oz or 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves?
cooked in pan to extract mint flavor. Not add tea leaves to fermentation?
3.25 - 3.75 lbs sugar ??? to 1.110 OG to yield 12-14% ABV
1 gallon spring water
Zest of one Lime
1 black teabag for tanin
1/2 teaspoon yeast hulls as yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon fleischmann yeast
I would like to finish sweet so i'm thinking plain fleischmann yeast but also thinking of cote de blanc but that usually finishes dry in warm (75F) temps.

Finishing sparkling wine after fermentation:
1/2 - 1 lime juice ? Not sure how much lime per gallon?

How many grams of Potassium Sorbate to kill yeast in 1gal ?
1 teaspoon of sugar for 1L bottle for carbonation ?

BIG thanks in advance and looking forward to your suggestions and improvments.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I want to make Mojito sparkling Wine/Kilju using mint leaves and lime(s). I want original gravity to be 1.110 to yield 12-14% ABV. At the end i will make it sparkling wine and bottle it.

How much sugar in grams/oz/lbs would i need to achive this in 1gal of water? I've tried formula 1110/0.45=2467g of sugar, but that's 5.44 lbs of sugar. That is NOT correct!. Way too much sugar.

I've seen a guy add 3lbs of sugar to 1gal of water in carboy yield 1.076 OG which is close to what i want to do, so i'm thinking maybe 3.5-3.75 lbs of sugar but i want to calculate exact amount and formula i used fails.

Any ideas what i did wrong with my calculations? and suggestions to achieve this OG and feel free to improve this recipe?

Recipe i'm thinking of. Feel free to make suggestions and improvments.

1 gallon batch Recipe:

2oz or 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves?
cooked in pan to extract mint flavor. Not add tea leaves to fermentation?
3.25 - 3.75 lbs sugar ??? to 1.110 OG to yield 12-14% ABV
1 gallon spring water
Zest of one Lime
1 black teabag for tanin
1/2 teaspoon yeast hulls as yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon fleischmann yeast
I would like to finish sweet so i'm thinking plain fleischmann yeast but also thinking of cote de blanc but that usually finishes dry in warm (75F) temps.

Finishing sparkling wine after fermentation:
1/2 - 1 lime juice ? Not sure how much lime per gallon?

How many grams of Potassium Sorbate to kill yeast in 1gal ?
1 teaspoon of sugar for 1L bottle for carbonation ?

BIG thanks in advance and looking forward to your suggestions and improvments.
1lb of sugar should raise the gravity around 46 points (0.046).. roughly. This can vary depending on ingredients added. I would add 2lbs then check the gravity with a hydrometer and add more as needed until you reach your desired gravity :)

Back