Poll: Do you use a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a Seconary

• No, never or hardley ever

• Yes, every or almost every time

• Yes, but only to bulk age

• Yes, but just to dry hop/oak/fruit

Results are only viewable after voting.
For a long time, they go dormant when they don't have feed.

I don't know the exact length of time, but think of it this way. whitelabs says that you should use their yeast within 6 months of production for best results. obviously a fermentation vessel and a sterile yeast vial are two separate entities, but the point I am trying to make is that the yeast are fairly robust.

I guess the way I thought was not the popular way anymore. I now think that the secondary is not a necessity, however ill still use one if I have time to help clear the beer or free up the primary

I am a little late on this, but I would say the poll, while interesting doesn't cover some innate factors such as available equipment, brew schedule and yeast harvesting. For clarity alone, I would secondary everytime but I don't have enough equipment (you can't deny doing a secondary helps with faster clarity). I only have 4 kegs and I can't keep up with my carboys spitting out beers (not to mention my carbed ciders). I am finally slowing down a bit because I have built up a pipeline of variety so that will now change back to what I did with my first home brews.

I will now be:
1. primary 3 weeks
2. secondary 2 weeks
3. Carbing 1 week

Before I wanted to get beer on tap so I had less patience, I threw it in the kegs and carbed after two weeks in the secondary. Yeah it cleared, but I was drinking sediment beer for a while with each keg (I don't mind). However if I was going to give it to friends or to a competition I would want it to look sharp.

This whole topic is further complicated by the fact that it seems there is no consensus as to what the terms primary and secondary even mean...

My understanding of 'primary' is the period of 'vigorous fermentation' where the wort is boiling, the krausen has built up and lots of CO2 is being created.. After a few days, when the krausen falls, and the yeast is in 'cleanup mode' the CO2 production has slowed, and 95% of the conversion has taken place, then the beer is in 'secondary fermentation'...

Yet others, feel the terms have to do with the initial 2-3 weeks of fermentation (they call this primary), and then transferring to a keg (or bottling) and then aging (they call this secondary)

Then there are variations of the two, and even other meanings...

So it gets confusing for me when I ask questions on this subject, because people use the terms loosely, and I'm never really sure what they mean when they use them... ie, if we're even talking apples and apples...

It would be nice if we could start from a baseline standard meaning for the terms involved before we get into these discussions... They'd have a lot more meaning.. for me anyways... It seems that every time I ask a question this subject, I end up more confused by the answers than when I started because the terms involved have different meanings to different people...

I have to make a decision on this subject in the next 24-48 hrs.. and once again, I have no idea what the consequences of either choice are...

Good call r8rphan. Didn't even realize that I was doing that myself. I was definitely referring to primary fermentor, secondary fermentor v.s. primary fermentation versus secondary fermenation.

For me, I would sit out primary and secondary fermentation in my primary fermentor (3 weeks). Then "bulk age" in a secondary fermentor (2 weeks), then carbonate in a keg (1 week).

The pole is poorly defined, therefore we have poor results to draw conclusions from!

The pole is poorly defined, therefore we have poor results to draw conclusions from!

The poll says use a secondary as in a secondary vessel. I was just trying to get a general feel for what people were doing. I drew the conclusion from the poll that a secondary vessel is not used as often as it use to be, under the "old" way of thinking, getting the beer off the yeast trub ect. That was all I was after

I would be interested to see a more detailed poll if you care to make one on the specifics you are looking for.

I just searched for what that means, instead of asking. Haha, the post out there are numerous and funny.
Maybe i found an answer that was correct, but who knows? There were about 100 interpretations, most of them jokes though.
Im wondering what you mean when u say RDWHAHB :mug:

Charlie said it best although different occasions call for different variations. But in this case I meant the original:

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

I would be interested to see a more detailed poll if you care to make one on the specifics you are looking for.

I spelled poll wrong haha "pole"

I apologize, I see what you are going after with your poll and I get it. Basically, I think there are lots of variations. However, when in a hurry, or equipment is short, that usually dictates what I must do (I still haven't had to dump beer yet). I think the most important is 2-3weeks in a primary fermentor - IMHO. Secondary is a frill

No disrespect meant man. I personally, have the jist of what people do, and that is good enough for me. I think it is a personal choice, but everyone should know they are stupid if they don't do it my way!!!....:ban:

hahah

Just kidding

+1 to brewpaster - too much talking, not enough drinking :mug:
My belly is my secondary tonight

used my better bottle just a couple weeksago to bulk age but most times I just use it as an extra primary

Latest posts

Back