placement of GFCI outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I have an existing 15 Amp circuit in basement I would like to connect a GFCI outlet to.

Simple question is does the outlet have to be the first in the circuit, or can it be "downstream" of regular outlets ? (Nothing is on the regular outlets).

THX

If you place it as the first one in the line, you can wire it to protect all of the other outlets in the string. OR - you can wire it so that is the only one setup as a GFCI.

OK thx...this is what I figured...

the only outlet that needs to be protected is the 1, so I will do that instead of doing a home run all the way back to the box.

If you only want to protect that outlet, it can be done easily. If there is more than one set of wires in the box, (two blacks and two whites) you hook both of the wires to the 'line' side of the GFCI. The load screws are for following receptacles.

OK - today was supposed to be the day, but I see that the existing circuit uses 12-3 and I was planning to use 12-2 for the GFI...

Is it ok to splice-in 12-2 to 12-3 (ignoring the red wire) ?

I do have room on the panel for another circuit if I need to go all the way back (30 ft 0r so)

First I would strongly recommenced swapping out your first outlet as the GFCI and protect the whole circuit. I believe basements are one of those places the GFCI is supposed to be used (especially if your basement is anything like mine)

in response to your second question, you need to see if the red is connected to something. It is possible whoever wired the circuit just had 12-3 on hand and left the red unconnected, on the other hand it could be something. Look at what was done at the outlet just upstream (or how it is hooked up currently if you are swapping out a outlet)

Either way i strongly recomend getting a GFCI tester (the are a couple bucks) and test your outlet. You plug it in, push the button and the outlet should trip, if not something is wrong. Here is what i am talking about:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_292761-1270...478&langId=-1&storeId=10151&searchQueryType=1

Thanks for the tip ... I will get the tester

I traced the 12-3 back to the panel, and w/o taking the front off, the electrician labelled tie feed "1 + 3" , and looking at the first j box, all 3 wires are connected,

I think I should just bite the bullet and do a dedicated feed...

Maybe even hire a real electrician !

Latest posts

Back