converting a 110 outlet to 220

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly suggest you get an electrician to help you understand what you have and what you want to do. It's fine to get suggestions here but if you're not sure it's best to have someone at your house to do it right. There's nothing worse than an electrical fire to ruin your brew day. Plus submitting an insurance claim the first thing they are going to ask is who did the wiring.
THIS!!!!!!!! I have not read thru the whole thread, but I think this is the soundest advice to be given. Unless you know what you are doing, and I mean really know, then I would not F%$# with it. The cost of a good electrician vs having to replace your house seems like a no brainer to me. But what do I know. Good luck

THIS!!!!!!!! I have not read thru the whole thread, but I think this is the soundest advice to be given. Unless you know what you are doing, and I mean really know, then I would not F%$# with it. The cost of a good electrician vs having to replace your house seems like a no brainer to me. But what do I know. Good luck

In terms of rewiring in the panel board, moving the outlet and such, yeah, stay out if you don't know what you are doing.

OTOH, making an extension cord is pretty inert.

How many amps is your service? Are there at least two blank slots in your panel? If you answer "200" and "yes" then it should be a fairly quick, easy and not terribly expensive job for any licensed electrical contractor. OTOH, if you answer "100" and "no" then you probably won't like hearing what a contractor tells you about installing a 220 volt 30 amp circuit.
They should work up a load schedule before telling you to upgrade a service.

Solved my issue today. I added a 30amp breaker and receptacle for the Brewzilla directly below my panel. This was my first time messing with the panel alone. I joined the electrical union about 4 months ago but the company I work for does low voltage communications/data work so this was a bit out of my wheelhouse.

Back