converting a 110 outlet to 220

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly see used extension cords or suitable cable to make extension cords on Marketplace and Craigslist for materially less than buying a new cord.

You could put a 6-15 or 6-20 plug on one end and the 6-30 receptacle on the other end and not have to change anything on the wall or the BrewZilla. Basically, it would be an adapter like Bobby showed, but longer.

why do i need 6-30 adaptor wont this 6-15 plug also fit in my recepticle like bobby said.

this is the bz plug. it looks like a 6-15 and a

100 ft. SJTW 12/3 20 Amp 250-Volt NEMA 6-15 Indoor/Outdoor​

(thats very expensive)

why would i need the adaptor this looks like it fits the bz and my wall outlet

thanks everyone this is like electricity 101 for me

Attachments

• 1700598403911.png
    1700598403911.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1700598443693.png
    1700598443693.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We were talking earlier about the Brewzilla having a 6-30 plug on it. If it's got a 6-15P then you don't need the adapter. I think you're also going to want GFCI, which will make that extension cord even more expensive.

1700601562633.png

this pic is from the morebeer website for the bz 220 . it looks like a 6-15 can anyone confirm this ?
cause the poster said you need a 6-30 receptacle

but from what ive gathered from the thread the 6-15 p will fit in either 6-15 or 6-30 receptacle .
sorry for the redundancy

and yes gcfi 100 ft 240 volt 6-15 cord is not cheap. but i live in new york minimum 100$ to get an electrician in the house.

but i think i saw the weight of the extension cord was less than 20 lbs

edit - not sure they make a 6-15 gcfi extension - i cant seem to find one

@fluketamer

The BZ literature says this -

• NEMA 6-30R plug
A 6-30 plug looks similar to a 6-15 plug except it's physically larger and won't plug into a 6-15 receptacle.

Last edited:
The flat blades on a 6-15 are ~1/4" wide.

The flat blades on a 6-30 are ~1/2" wide.

What do they measure on the BrewZilla you have?

@fluketamer

The BZ literature says this -

• NEMA 6-30R plug
A 6-30 plug looks like a 6-15 plug except it's physically larger and won't plug into a 6-15 receptacle.
Here's the official drawings showing the difference between a 6-30 and 6-15:
1700602361353.png

1700602521579.png

Brew on :mug:

If I were going to go the extension cord route, I would look for a 100ft 14 or 12ga cord with the standard 5-15 or 5-20 connectors. I've seen some on Amazon for ~$50.

Then, I would get a 6-15 or 6-20 plug and a 6-30 receptacle (probably need a handy box too, 6-30R cord caps don't seem too common).

Then, cut the 5--15 or 5-20 ends off the cord and install the 6-15 / 6-20 and 6-30.

Should be able to do all that under $100, which would be a fraction of the cost to have an electrician install a new circuit.

If you want to add GFI it could be a sizable cost adder unless, again, you find a deal on something.

Last edited:
You're going to get a quote for a new circuit in the location you most want it?
exactly i think actually two outlets.

one in the kitchen and one in the garage

so i can brew outside in the summer

i dont see how it could ever hurt to have a few 220 outlets.

if this gets outrageous i can always stick to a 110 bz for now and maybe a heat stick to get it up to boil quicker or just drink more homebrew during the wait time. lol

i found some decent reviews of the 110 and people say they are making plenty of great beer with it.

i think actually two outlets
That makes it a bit more complicated. There's no space for another 220V breaker in that panel, so you can't have two dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuits. I guess a higher amp circuit with two outlets would be a possibility, but that's beyond my experience (either DIY or hiring a pro).

It's actually acceptable to have two outlets at the rated breaker amperage on the same branch. I have a 240V 40A breaker servicing a pair of 40A receptacles for my welder - one in the garage near the load center and the other in my shop about 50 feet away...

Cheers!

exactly i think actually two outlets.

Certainly wouldn't argue with the intent, but I'd probably be sitting down when you get the quote. :)

Hopefully wrong about that.

Convenience does have a lot of value though; especially the older you get LOL.

This is where an electrician can help you with your plan and to make sure it meets code. As Day Tripper has mentioned it might be possible to have a second outlet downstream of the first. Again this is a code thing and it might be different in your area. The National Electric Code makes the rules but areas around the country might have stricter guidelines. An electrician will know what's required. It's about safety for you and your family.

I'm not an electrician but in my job I worked on electrical systems.

It's actually acceptable to have two outlets at the rated breaker amperage on the same branch. I have a 240V 40A breaker servicing a pair of 40A receptacles for my welder - one in the garage near the load center and the other in my shop about 50 feet away...

Cheers!
Sure is. Every home has 15A or 20A branch circuits and 15 or 20A receptacles. Sometimes many of them.

Every home has 15A or 20A branch circuits and 15 or 20A receptacles. Sometimes many of them.
Well yeah, but I just wasn't sure that code was the same for 240V circuits. I don't think I've ever actually laid eyes on a 240V circuit with multiple outlets.

Well yeah, but I just wasn't sure that code was the same for 240V circuits. I don't think I've ever actually laid eyes on a 240V circuit with multiple outlets.
That’s only because very few things use 240 in the US and not 120. Most things can use both. The only countertop appliances I can think of is an espresso machine or a European electric kettle.

Sure is. Every home has 15A or 20A branch circuits and 15 or 20A receptacles. Sometimes many of them.
Agreed. In my kitchen I had to have a minimum amount of receptacles per square foot of counter space. The amount of counter space also informed how many circuits I needed (two), which means I have about half a dozen outlets on each branch.

I don't think I've ever actually laid eyes on a 240V circuit with multiple outlets.
Yeah, in the US and Canada households anyway, 240V circuits are each typically a dedicated circuit for a large appliance e.g. electric stove, water heater, central AC, electric clothes dryer, etc.

While nothing, far as I can think off hand, precludes multiple receptacles on a 240V circuit, it's not common since it's not a great plan to have two or more of those large draw items on one circuit when they could try to run simultaneously.

On a circuit where you are fairly certain only one device will be used at any given time, no big deal. Like the example of multiple outlets in garage for welder. Fine there, but back to maybe not so much a great thing if you expect a couple welders to be going at same time like in a bigger shop.

You could have multiple welders being used from one circuit if everything in that string is sized properly for the total multiple loads.

There is more to that than simply having multiple receptacles on fat wires and a higher amp breaker. At a high level what you say is true but to accomplish it is not the same situation being questioned in the thread.

Depending on the OP’s resources, he may end up landing on the extension cord idea after getting a quote from the electrician for adding a circuit and a couple receptacles. I would not be surprised to see that exceed $1000.

There is more to that than simply having multiple receptacles on fat wires and a higher amp breaker. At a high level what you say is true but to accomplish it is not the same situation being questioned in the thread.
My comments were not meant to the OP, just a general response about multiple "welders".

I stated very early in the thread to the OP to contact an electrician as that was the safest route.

My comments were not meant to the OP, just a general response about multiple "welders".

I stated very early in the thread to the OP to contact an electrician as that was the safest route.

Fair enough, but the readership needs to be clear in that scenario there is a lot more to it than what was discussed re. the OP and similar situations.

I would not be surprised to see that exceed $1000.
For what it's evolved into, absolutely. Should have been well under when it was just relocating a single outlet on an exiting circuit.
I doubt the minimum charge is below $100 anywhere in the U.S.
I have gotten free estimates in both New Jersey and Virginia within the past year. Is that not a thing in some places anymore?

For what it's evolved into, absolutely. Should have been well under when it was just relocating a single outlet on an exiting circuit.

I have gotten free estimates in both New Jersey and Virginia within the past year. Is that not a thing in some places anymore?

While less that two new circuits for sure, I would expect relocating that one outlet to a different part of the house would be much similar in cost to a new circuit. Essentially all the same work, maybe more.

Far as estimates, I've seen charges for that to cut down the tire kickers. In some cases it may be applied to the job if you follow through to have the work done.

Can also be a case of rough estimate range off the cuff at no charge vs. an on-site review and formal quote.

Last edited:
minimum work charge
A $100 minimum work charge is pretty much irrelevant for a job that's easily going to run over $500. Without a minimum people who can't do anything themselves would never be able to get an electrician to come to their house to replace a bad switch.
Essentially all the same work, maybe more.
Fishing the wire is the hardest part. :rolleyes: The actual skilled electrician work takes about 20 minutes. I had to get a contractor to move a dedicated 20A outlet in my brother's condo when we put in a new kitchen (the HOA basically doesn't allow you to DIY anything except paint and flooring). Cost was "only" $550, but they didn't replace the breaker, which I gotta say surprised me a little. A new circuit would have to comply with current code, right? Which means AFCI and GFCI pretty much anywhere in the house in NY. So the circuit breaker is going to run you over $200 all by itself.

A $100 minimum work charge is pretty much irrelevant for a job that's easily going to run over $500. Without a minimum people who can't do anything themselves would never be able to get an electrician to come to their house to replace a bad switch.

... A new circuit would have to comply with current code, right? Which means AFCI and GFCI pretty much anywhere in the house in NY. So the circuit breaker is going to run you over $200 all by itself.

A new circuit definitely is supposed to comply and it may even be such that moving the circuit demands compliance to current Code. Very likely either situation could require a permit too.

A lot of that can depend on the local Codes and the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).

A new circuit definitely is supposed to comply and it may even be such that moving the circuit demands compliance to current Code. Very likely either situation could require a permit too.
Yeah, that's why I was surprised that they did not install a new AFCI/GFCI combo breaker. The extra couple hundred bucks would have pissed me off, but when you're putting in a new kitchen it's pretty insignificant. The contractor pulled the permit and the work was inspected and approved when completed. So I figure it must be compliant with whatever the local authority is currently enforcing. Original plan was to literally just move the receptacle keeping the existing wire since the new location shortened the run, but it turned out it was aluminum so they replaced it. I assumed that once they did that it became a new circuit and would have to comply with the 2020 NEC (work was completed before the 2023 was published), but apparently not.

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting anyone does what I do, but when I built the controller for my electric BIAB, I designed it with two 1600W elements, driven by two SSRs, that are powered individually by a pair of 110V power cords which I plug in to two standard outlets on separate circuits. Gives me 3200W of boiling power without the need for any special outlets or wiring. I've brewed almost 100 batches on this setup over the past 5 years with absolutely zero problems. YMMV.

hi guys

happy thanksgiving , im still paying attention this is just beyond most of what i i need to do.
thanks for all the advice. it sounds like $500 for one outlet in the kitchen would not be that unreasonable.

Latest posts

Back