converting a 110 outlet to 220

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
stupid electrical question.

just getting an adaptor like this:
1700499890786.png

wont allow me to draw more power from a 110 outlet right i need a 220 outlet.

and what about a convertor like this:
1700499956244.png

would that allow me to change a 110 outlet to a 220 and draw more power cause the bz gen 3 is crazy on sale now i think around 270 with all the discounts. plus i think an additional 10 percent off. but its the 220 version and i dont have any 220 outlets in the house.

thanks

i figured that was too easy.

I know my split level central heating has 220 i think i can get an electrician to run an outlet off that line.

thanks for the quick reply

Doesn't your home have an outlet for either and electric stove or clothes dryer? I made an adapter with a stove plug and when I brew, I just slide out my stove and borrow the outlet.

i figured that was too easy.

I know my split level central heating has 220 i think i can get an electrician to run an outlet off that line.

thanks for the quick reply
If you brew not too far from the service panel, most panels likely still have the space to drop in a new breaker and run a dedicated line.

hey crow,

i checked my dryer outlet yesterday its 110.

i will check the stove when i get home from work but its gas so prolly uses 110 also .

also i have no idea how to add/run a line

so i would need someone to come in.

but thanks

hey crow,

i will check the stove when i get home from work but its gas so prolly uses 110 also .

but thanks
You have a gas clothes dryer then?

hey crow,

but thanks
Got you.... not everyone's comfortable with wiring.. I'm all for DIY because I've been doing it since I was a kid, which also means I've seen and repaired a lot of disaters made by people who shouldn't have tried... we all have own 'things'.
When you call, ask about getting a dedicated line from the panel. If you'd like an idea of what's involved, just for your own undertanding, here's a couple links that make a decent primer;
https://www.thespruce.com/installing-a-240-volt-circuit-breaker-1824649https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-wire-electric-range-receptacles-4125808:mug:

How many amps is your service? Are there at least two blank slots in your panel? If you answer "200" and "yes" then it should be a fairly quick, easy and not terribly expensive job for any licensed electrical contractor. OTOH, if you answer "100" and "no" then you probably won't like hearing what a contractor tells you about installing a 220 volt 30 amp circuit.

I mean, technically, you can get 220 from a split phase adapter. That would require two 110 receptacles on different circuits and those circuits both being at least 20 amp.

There is no adapter to make 220 out of only one 110 leg.

Your best bet is to have a dedicated circuit installed or use an existing one from an electric oven, EV charger, dryer, water heater (if wired for plug in), etc.

How many amps is your service? Are there at least two blank slots in your panel? If you answer "200" and "yes" then it should be a fairly quick, easy and not terribly expensive job for any licensed electrical contractor. OTOH, if you answer "100" and "no" then you probably won't like hearing what a contractor tells you about installing a 220 volt 30 amp circuit.
The better news is that the Brewzilla 220v only needs 11 amps. You can easily put in a 15amp/220 circuit. You'd have to replace the plug on the brewzilla because it unnecessarily has a NEMA 6-30P on there. A 240v / 15amp breaker is pretty cheap, as is the 14/2 romex wire you'd use to get to the receptacle. You just need two blank breaker positions on top of each other.

thanks floppy im going to check my water heater also

bobby that sounds tempting but way too technical for me

if i decide to do this i will get a technician
thanks

If you are going to have to put in a new circuit, I strongly suggest ensuring it is a 120/240V circuit, not a 240V-only circuit.

A 120/240V circuit requires 4 wires (eg. for a 30A circuit would be minimum of 10/3 w/ground).

so i found the outlet in the inset picture below outside my circuit breaker closet.
which looks alot like a 240 ac / nema 6-20 recepticle.
i traced it back to one of the circuit breaker panels in my house and found the two double switches below left (not the main for the panel at the top). im almost sure the top one that says 20 is for the recently installed split level heating system. im assuming the one below it that says 15 is the one that was used by the original owner for an ac unit that plugged into the 6-20 r in my wall.

1700573242771.png

i see it says 15 on it which seemed strange cause the wall outlet is a 6-20 r (which i assume means 20 amps).

then i saw bobbys post saying "better news is that the Brewzilla 220v only needs 11 amps. You can easily put in a 15amp/220 circuit. "

im hoping thats a 240v / 15amp breaker ?

can i use this outlet for a 220v brewzilla?

or do i still need to get an electrician.

thanks guys

Attachments

• 1700572776318.png
    1700572776318.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1700572963974.png
    1700572963974.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 0
I use this adapter for power from a dryer outlet to my Brewzilla:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LSWYJ4D?smid=A90TTI5JM9HNY&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1
I was just about to start a thread asking if I could use this adapter:

AC WORKS NEMA 6-30 Commercial Heater Adapter (50A Generator/Range/RV 14-50 Flexible) https://a.co/d/caIOQQN

To power the Brewzilla from my car charging outlet. Since I only brew 2-3 times a month, I’m not too worried about unplugging the charger.

This seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution for me since I brew in my garage anyway.

I strongly suggest you get an electrician to help you understand what you have and what you want to do. It's fine to get suggestions here but if you're not sure it's best to have someone at your house to do it right. There's nothing worse than an electrical fire to ruin your brew day. Plus submitting an insurance claim the first thing they are going to ask is who did the wiring.

He has a 6-20P, not a 14-30P. First thing to do would be to right size the receptacle to 6-15. Then replace the plug on the Brewzilla.
could you explain this like im 5 years old. please.

and unfortunately its not realy where i want to brew, my water source is not close . i have a huge kitchen and still wanted to brew in there on countertop but was hoping to be able to move outside in the summer. i assumed there was such a thing as a 220 volt extension cord. but i see now that they are not cost effective
😞

could you explain this like im 5 years old. please.
It's a 15 amp circuit. It shouldn't have a 20 amp receptacle. I'd expect that at a minimum any competent electrician would replace the 6-20P with a 6-15P. Of course, it's also possible that there might be something else wrong with the way the circuit was wired.
and unfortunately its not realy where i want to brew, my water source is not close. i have a huge kitchen and still wanted to brew in there on countertop but was hoping to be able to move outside in the summer.
Then you can abandon that circuit and get an electrician to run a new line to wherever you want it, using the same slots in the panel.

It's a 15 amp circuit. It shouldn't have a 20 amp receptacle.

I believe it is permissible by Code as long as it is a single outlet on the circuit as seems to be shown in the picture.

(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

A 20A receptacle is not less than the 15A rating of the circuit.

Last edited:
Yes it's permissible to oversize receptacles, but why would you want to be able to plug in a device that will try to draw more than 15 amps on a 15 amp circuit? Sure, the breaker will trip before anything bad happens, right?

Yes it's permissible to oversize receptacles, but why would you want to be able to plug in a device that will try to draw more than 15 amps on a 15 amp circuit? Sure, the breaker will trip before anything bad happens, right?

The sole point of my post was to clarify it is permissible and doesn't need to be changed simply based on the outlet* vs. circuit rating.

*The caveat in this specific case again being single outlet on the circuit.

Last edited:
so i found the outlet in the inset picture below outside my circuit breaker closet.
which looks alot like a 240 ac / nema 6-20 recepticle.
i traced it back to one of the circuit breaker panels in my house and found the two double switches below left (not the main for the panel at the top). im almost sure the top one that says 20 is for the recently installed split level heating system. im assuming the one below it that says 15 is the one that was used by the original owner for an ac unit that plugged into the 6-20 r in my wall.

View attachment 834449
i see it says 15 on it which seemed strange cause the wall outlet is a 6-20 r (which i assume means 20 amps).

then i saw bobbys post saying "better news is that the Brewzilla 220v only needs 11 amps. You can easily put in a 15amp/220 circuit. "

im hoping thats a 240v / 15amp breaker ?

can i use this outlet for a 220v brewzilla?

or do i still need to get an electrician.

thanks guys

Last edited:
I was just about to start a thread asking if I could use this adapter:

AC WORKS NEMA 6-30 Commercial Heater Adapter (50A Generator/Range/RV 14-50 Flexible) https://a.co/d/caIOQQN

To power the Brewzilla from my car charging outlet. Since I only brew 2-3 times a month, I’m not too worried about unplugging the charger.

This seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution for me since I brew in my garage anyway.

It's fine, but at the same time it's very expensive. If you're always going to use the Brewzilla on that outlet, you could just wire a new plug on to the brewzilla cord for like $15.

it would be best to have the receptacle changed out to a 6-15R because you definitely don't want a 20amp receptacle on a 15 amp breaker because it would be safe to assume the wiring in the wall is only rated for 15amps.

From that point, you'd just cut the plug off the Brewzilla and wire on a 5-15P plug.

It's already been determined there is no necessity to change the outlet based on Code.

Further, given the load of topic is ~11A, there isn't any particular reason to mess with it at all even presuming the breaker and wiring is for 15A.

The only reason to change anything there, again presuming it's on the 15A breaker, is if you plan to use a bigger load.

Last edited:
Are you sure that outlet is not being powered by the 20 breaker?
View attachment 834476

It's easy enough to figure out. Flip the 15amp double pole breaker off and then put a voltage tester into the slots on the receptacle. If it's 0 volts, then flip the breaker on and test for 240v at the receptacle.

1. If it turns out that receptacle (which is a 6-20R) is really on the 15 amp breaker, it would be best to have the receptacle changed out to a 6-15R because you definitely don't want a 20amp receptacle on a 15 amp breaker because it would be safe to assume the wiring in the wall is only rated for 15amps.

From that point, you'd just cut the plug off the Brewzilla and wire on a 5-15P plug.
i got everything up until the 5-15 plug part.
i would change the bz to a 5-15 plug -----and also have to change the wall outlet to a 5-15 r correct?

and if the 20 amp is on the outlet then the outlet could just be swapped for a 5-15 outlet?

i would still get a guy to do it but it sounds like its prolly not a very expensive job.

It's already been determined there is no necessity to change the outlet based on Code.

Further, given the load of topic is ~11A, there isn't any particular reason to mess with it at all even presuming the breaker and wiring is for 15A.

The only reason to change anything there, again presuming it's on the 15A breaker, is if you plan to use a bigger load.
it seems like this is what whoaru is saying. like its posssible i just need to change the recepticle.
and as bobby said the bz plug

and before i get thinking this is cheap and easy, is there any extension cord option (like if i change to 5-15 p) or my only option is to get a guy to wire an outlet where i want to brew?

i got everything up until the 5-15 plug part.
i would change the bz to a 5-15 plug -----and also have to change the wall outlet to a 5-15 r correct?

and if the 20 amp is on the outlet then the outlet could just be swapped for a 5-15 outlet?

i would still get a guy to do it but it sounds like its prolly not a very expensive job.

it seems like this is what whoaru is saying. like its posssible i just need to change the recepticle.
and as bobby said the bz plug
You can leave the outlet alone so you have two choices. You can either replace the Brewzilla with a 6-15P or a 6-20P plug. Either of those will fit into your current outlet.

The other option is to buy either a (6-15P or 6-20P) to 6-30R adapter. This is definitely the more expensive route.
1700593530120.png

How far away would you want to brew? You can also make up a longer cable version of the above.

Last edited:
The 6-20 receptacle accepts either 6-20 or 6-15 plug.

A 5-15 receptacle is for 120V circuits, not 240.

It's not necessary to change anything in the breaker box, wiring, or outlet if you are talking the 11A load of the BrewZilla.

and before i get thinking this is cheap and easy, is there any extension cord option (like if i change to 5-15 p) or my only option is to get a guy to wire an outlet where i want to brew

An extension cord is a consideration. How far from the outlet to where you want to brew?

You'd have to consider the cost of the cord and some minor inconvenience to roll it out every time vs the cost to have a new circuit put where you'd rather have it.

I regularly see used extension cords or suitable cable to make extension cords on Marketplace and Craigslist for materially less than buying a new cord.

You could put a 6-15 or 6-20 plug on one end and the 6-30 receptacle on the other end and not have to change anything on the wall or the BrewZilla. Basically, it would be an adapter like Bobby showed, but longer.

You can leave the outlet alone so you have two choices. You can either replace the Brewzilla with a 6-15P or a 6-20P plug. Either of those will fit into your current outlet.

The other option is to buy either a (6-15P or 6-20P) to 6-30R adapter. This is definitely the more expensive route.
View attachment 834479

How far away would you want to brew? You can also make up a longer cable version of the above.
This last question is very important.

you guys are awesome

im also thinking the cord could get me to the kitchen and to the yard ( the two places i want to brew) and may offset wiring two outlets far away from the source.

id prolly need hundred feet to make me happy ..

thanks for all this help i think im closer to my new electric brewery than i thought

"You could put a 6-15 or 6-20 plug on one end and the 6-30 receptacle on the other end and not have to change anything on the wall or the BrewZilla."

-this is really exactly what i wanted to hear

My terrible math shows you can probably get away with it. 11 amps on a 120v circuit is 1320 watts. Max watts on a 15A branch circuit with 20% overhead is 1440. Voltage drop over 100 ft is about 5%, but you're right up against that limit.

edit: ignore this. Just saw that this is a 240 15A circuit. That is a tiny panel.

My terrible math shows you can probably get away with it. 11 amps on a 120v circuit is 1320 watts. Max watts on a 15A branch circuit with 20% overhead is 1440. Voltage drop over 100 ft is about 5%, but you're right up against that limit.

edit: ignore this. Just saw that this is a 240 15A circuit. That is a tiny panel.

Yeah, at 240V a 14ga cord seems like it would work OK. More or less 1/2 the voltage drop so ~2.5% which is not unreasonable. 12ga would be less but, frankly, I think the higher cost probably doesn't justify a couple volts difference. But, might depend on what deal one can find. Other than lugging it around and cost, bigger in this regard (to a point) is fine.

I have about 100ft of 2/4 cable I bought to make an extension cord but it's so big and heavy it's impractical for why I wanted it. It's a big effort just to move it myself at around 130lbs of cable. It sits on a spool under the bench gathering dust. I should look into the copper value. LOL. The 2ga wire is so fat it doesn't even fit the 50A receptacle and plug terminals, and the overall diameter so big it doesn't fit the cable/strain relief clamps. I think it's roughly 1.25" OD for the cable.

Last edited:
Yeah, at 240V a 14ga cord seems like it would work OK. More or less 1/2 the voltage drop so ~2.5% which is not unreasonable. 12ga would be less but, frankly, I think the higher cost probably doesn't justify a couple volts difference. But, might depend on what deal one can find.
that part i understood 😉

Back