Pineapple Citra-BRU-1 NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Lallemand American East Coast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days @ 21C
Hi everyone,

I tought I would share this NEIPA recipe. Its the first time I brew it and there is 3 things I will try out next time... Its a little different than a regular NEIPA so I think that many of you might enjoy it. There is a good taste of pineapple to it but its not overkill... its very well balanced and we still get the hoppiness of the hops.

5 gallons batch

Braumeister 50L using the 20L adapter / BacBrewing increased capacity disc and large filter mesh / started with 34L of water/ no sparge

40C
52C 20min
65C 45min
73C 20min
78C 10min

60 minutes boil

10lbs 2 row malt
1lbs Flaked oat
1lbs wheat malt
8oz flaked wheat

0.5oz Citra / 30min
2.0oz Citra / 5min
2 x 398ml crushed DOLE pineapple cans in a large stepping bag / 1min + all the cooling process duration

4oz Citra steep/whirpool @ 75C 30min ( next time I will do 3oz Citra and 3oz Bru-1 )

2 hydrated pack of Lallemand American East Coast yeast ( want to try Lallemand Verdant IPA next time or London Ale3 )

1st dry hop after 3 days of high fermentation : 1,50oz Citra + 2oz BRU-1
2n dry hop on day 7 ( once fermentation is almost completed ) for 5 days : 1oz CRYO Citra + 2 x 398ml crushed DOLE pineapple cans in a stepping bag

( next time for dry hopping I would like to raise the Citra and BRU-1 @ 3oz each for my dry hop first addition )

When I added the crushed pineapple to the fermenter I had a nice boost in fermentation and the beer went from 1.011 to 1.008. The color is a bit more orange than the yellow of a regular NEIPA... I guess its because of the pineapple juice in the cans but I really like the color that almost looks like pineapple juice... the haziness is moderate. I guess that using London Ale 3 yeast would give a better haze. It was my first time using the American East Coast Ale yeast. I have nothing bad to say about it except that the haze is moderate.

I am sure that you will enjoy this recipe ! CHEERS !

citra-nana.jpg

Out of 5, how many points do you give?

I would give a big 4/5 but I am really picky... I mention a few things I would like to modify in my post. I was only able to get 2oz of BRU-1 hop when I brewed that beer. Next time I will use a little more. I think it will also give that recipe a few points haha.

Also it was the first time for me using the American east coast dry yeast from Lallemand. I think its a good yeast but maybe London Ale 3 would bring it closer to 5/5 ;)

I would give a big 4/5 but I am really picky... I mention a few things I would like to modify in my post. I was only able to get 2oz of BRU-1 hop when I brewed that beer. Next time I will use a little more. I think it will also give that recipe a few points haha.

Also it was the first time for me using the American east coast dry yeast from Lallemand. I think its a good yeast but maybe London Ale 3 would bring it closer to 5/5 ;)

Thank you very much
See ya on Holiday:mischievous:

Hi everyone,

I tought I would share this NEIPA recipe. Its the first time I brew it and there is 3 things I will try out next time... Its a little different than a regular NEIPA so I think that many of you might enjoy it. There is a good taste of pineapple to it but its not overkill... its very well balanced and we still get the hoppiness of the hops.

5 gallons batch

Braumeister 50L using the 20L adapter / BacBrewing increased capacity disc and large filter mesh / started with 34L of water/ no sparge

40C
52C 20min
65C 45min
73C 20min
78C 10min

60 minutes boil

10lbs 2 row malt
1lbs Flaked oat
1lbs wheat malt
8oz flaked wheat

0.5oz Citra / 30min
2.0oz Citra / 5min
2 x 398ml crushed DOLE pineapple cans in a large stepping bag / 1min + all the cooling process duration

4oz Citra steep/whirpool @ 75C 30min ( next time I will do 3oz Citra and 3oz Bru-1 )

2 hydrated pack of Lallemand American East Coast yeast ( want to try Lallemand Verdant IPA next time or London Ale3 )

1st dry hop after 3 days of high fermentation : 1,50oz Citra + 2oz BRU-1
2n dry hop on day 7 ( once fermentation is almost completed ) for 5 days : 1oz CRYO Citra + 2 x 398ml crushed DOLE pineapple cans in a stepping bag

( next time for dry hopping I would like to raise the Citra and BRU-1 @ 3oz each for my dry hop first addition )

When I added the crushed pineapple to the fermenter I had a nice boost in fermentation and the beer went from 1.011 to 1.008. The color is a bit more orange than the yellow of a regular NEIPA... I guess its because of the pineapple juice in the cans but I really like the color that almost looks like pineapple juice... the haziness is moderate. I guess that using London Ale 3 yeast would give a better haze. It was my first time using the American East Coast Ale yeast. I have nothing bad to say about it except that the haze is moderate.

I am sure that you will enjoy this recipe ! CHEERS !

View attachment 728820
Please suggest for adjusted water profile. Thanks

I was looking for a recipe that uses BRU-1 Hops. I have 2lbs of it that I ordered from Yakima Valley and was going to try to do a NEIPA with it. I think I am going to use this recipe. I will let you know how it turns out. I might leave out the DOLE Pineapple because I was going to use Omega Yeasts Tropical IPA yeast which gives a lot of pineapple characteristics to the beer.

Looks like a nice recipe! I like pineapple with dry hopped IPAs.

What's the reasoning behind the step mash schedule? I get that you want to go longer than 60 minutes given that there's oats in it, but couldn't you just mash at 65C for 60 min with a 78C mashout for 10 min and get the same effect?

I was looking for a recipe that uses BRU-1 Hops. I have 2lbs of it that I ordered from Yakima Valley and was going to try to do a NEIPA with it. I think I am going to use this recipe. I will let you know how it turns out. I might leave out the DOLE Pineapple because I was going to use Omega Yeasts Tropical IPA yeast which gives a lot of pineapple characteristics to the beer.

The main ingredient of that recipe is the pinapple lol I think it would be a nice pairing with your yeast. Do forget to go with my revised recipe... I noted a few improvements that I will do next time I brew this recipe. Cheers !

Looks like a nice recipe! I like pineapple with dry hopped IPAs.

What's the reasoning behind the step mash schedule? I get that you want to go longer than 60 minutes given that there's oats in it, but couldn't you just mash at 65C for 60 min with a 78C mashout for 10 min and get the same effect?

Since I use a Braumeister its easy for me to step mash. I always had good results with my mashing programs... but you could also do a single mash and regular sparge... I dont think it will affect the taste much... as I said before the main thing is the addition of the pineapple and use of the BRU-1 hops... any NEIPA grainbill you like and mash you like would be fine to experiment with... Cheers !

Looks great!

I just recently did a NEIIPA with LUPOMAX and t90 Bru1, Citra LUPOMAX, and Vic secret to try to get some pineapple notes. They certainly come through but I also have This earthy thing going on that I believe bru1 brought to the table. Might have to through 5 lbs of pineapple in next time to see what I get

Looks great!

I just recently did a NEIIPA with LUPOMAX and t90 Bru1, Citra LUPOMAX, and Vic secret to try to get some pineapple notes. They certainly come through but I also have This earthy thing going on that I believe bru1 brought to the table. Might have to through 5 lbs of pineapple in next time to see what I get

How much Lupomax did you used ? Do you mind sharing the hop bill... I am working on a 100% Cryo hop NEIPA... just want to compare... :)

( this is not related to my original post... )

Last edited:
How much Lupomax did you used ? Do you mind sharing the hop bill... I am working on a 100% Cryo hop NEIPA... just want to compare... :)

( this is not related to my original post... )
For dryhop;
2 oz bru1 t90
4 oz bru1 LUPOMAX
2 oz Citra LUPOMAX
2 oz vic secret

Thanks but have you used any boil/whirpool hops at all ?
It was 1.5 oz cascade and 1.5 oz Columbus.

I’ve used LUPOMAX a bunch of times in whirlpool/ hotside before. Overall I say I like about 50% cryo and %50 t90 typically, for late hoping and dryhop. Sometimes 10-15% more or less depending

.. I am working on a 100% Cryo hop NEIPA... just want to compare... :)

Just recently made a NEIPA with 100% Cryo (citra, mosaic and the new Pop blend). Used Lallemand Voss Kveik yeast. It was freakin awesome. Entered it in local homebrew comp and took 1st in IPA category and 2nd BoS. Cryo is some good stuff.

Just recently made a NEIPA with 100% Cryo (citra, mosaic and the new Pop blend). Used Lallemand Voss Kveik yeast. It was freakin awesome. Entered it in local homebrew comp and took 1st in IPA category and 2nd BoS. Cryo is some good stuff.

Nice ! Congrats !

I should brew mine really soon... do you ming sharing your recipe ? Especialy the hops quantity and additions ?

Here ya go...

I call it “99 Shades of Hazy”. Using this yeast and the instructions below, you will be grain to keg in 1 week. The key to this style is keeping oxygen out, period.

Water: Calcium: 94, Sodium 45, Chloride 150, Sulfate 75, Magnesium 14, Mash Ph: 5.2

OG 1.073, FG 1.020, IBU 21, SRM 5.7, ABV 7.3

I BIAB so adjust accordingly if you do extract or 3 vessels.

7 lb pale ale malt
5 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb carapils
4 oz honey malt
4 oz lactose

.25 oz each cryo citra, cryo mosaic & cryo pop whirlpool 20 min at 190 degrees
.50 oz each cryo citra, cryo mosaic & cryo pop whirlpool 15 min at 170 degrees
1.25 oz each cryo citra, cryo mosaic & cryo pop dry hop on day 1 for 3 days

1.7 package lallemand voss kveik yeast

BIAB….
mash all grains for 60 min at 154
mash out for 10 min at 168
boil for 60 min
with 15 min remaining add lactose
after boil, reduce to 190 and add first whirlpool addition for 20 min
after 5 min reduce to 170 and add second whirlpool addition for 15 min
after whirlpool reduce to 100 and transfer to fermenter
sprinkle in yeast and yeast nutrient while filling and add oxygen

** Note – this yeast ferments at high temps. I do it at 98 degrees. It will fully ferment out in 24-36 hrs so if you want to add the dry hop addition for biotransformation you need to be prepared to do that NLT the day after brew day.

Cold crash at 38 for 3 days and transfer to keg. Drink early

Back