Pilsner recipe with Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted to ask if many have done a pilsner recipe with Ale yeast and how were the results.

I'm thinking of all pilsner malt, saaz hops to about 3o IBU, and US-05,

ill get the US-05 to finish dry, about 1.008.

The reason im not doing a lager is because I don't have temp control for lagering.

its too hoppy to be a cream ale, not fruity enough to be a kolsh so I imagine it will be similar but just not as crisp as a pilsner yeast.

This w/e will be trying a blonde ale recipe.

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 20
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.6 SRM
ABV: 5.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 degrees

Grain Bill
94.1% Pilsner
3.9% Victory
2.0% White Wheat

Mash

BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 60 min.
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 20 min.
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 5 min.

This w/e will be trying a blonde ale recipe.

Recipe Type: All Grain BIAB
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 3.25
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 20
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.6 SRM
ABV: 5.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 Days at 68 degrees

Grain Bill
94.1% Pilsner
3.9% Victory
2.0% White Wheat

Mash

BIAB Single Infusion mash for 75 minutes at 152 degrees.

Boil & Hops
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 60 min.
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 20 min.
.5 oz. Glacier 3.4% @ 5 min.

Hmmmm.....that looks interesting. Wonder how it would be fermented with 2112 or 810 (california lager yeast).

When I do lager-like cream ales, blondes, etc. Wyeast 1007 is my go-to yeast. Super clean and easy to work with. It definitely benefits from gelatin or other finings, but that's no biggie.

See the Last Drop piece in the Mar/Apr 2016 Zymurgy.
You can make a real good "pilsner" with Wyeast Pacman yeast.

I've used WLP029 Kolsch and made a nice helles. I suspect WLP090 San Diego might make nice lager-like product. High flocculation and attenuation, little to no esters.

Seems like ye guys have had some good results from this,

I guess the only way to go is by giving it a whirl and taking the plunge!

I wont be making it for a while, just checking before I commit to getting the ingredients together.

Before I had a temp control fermentation chamber, I used a cardboard box lined with 1" insulation board. I put the carboy in that and added 1 and 2 liter frozen water bottles. I could maintain 10 degrees F below ambient temp. My basement is a 55-60 during the spring months, so i would brew lagers in the spring and use the frozen water/box arrangement.
I'd bottle the beers and lager in an extra fridge and drink in the summer.
In the summer, its about 70 down in the basement and I'd made SF lagers using the box/frozen water bottles.
I made it work, but now its nice to know I can make lagers year round with my chest freezer/temp controller. :mug:

Before I had a temp control fermentation chamber, I used a cardboard box lined with 1" insulation board. I put the carboy in that and added 1 and 2 liter frozen water bottles. I could maintain 10 degrees F below ambient temp. My basement is a 55-60 during the spring months, so i would brew lagers in the spring and use the frozen water/box arrangement.
I'd bottle the beers and lager in an extra fridge and drink in the summer.
In the summer, its about 70 down in the basement and I'd made SF lagers using the box/frozen water bottles.
I made it work, but now its nice to know I can make lagers year round with my chest freezer/temp controller. :mug:

Howdy all,

Reporting back on my Ale fermented Pilsner recipe.

I have to say this turned out very tasty indeed, its super clean, a touch grainy malt, a touch of the Saaz hop flavour and aroma on it but not much.

It is definitely not a lager, I would say its not as sharp, and I def don't get that sulphur aroma and taste which I get from lager yeast.

I quite like this, I reckon my non "craft" beer friends will like this.

Sounds like it worked out. Nothing wrong with hopped cream ale - it's not a style yet, but probably should be. Cream ale is ale brewers' answer to lagers.

I brewed essentially the OP's recipe last month.

11 1/2 lbs Bohemian Pilsner
Mashed 75 min @ 148°F
90 min boil
2 oz Saaz @90 min
1 oz Saaz @ 60 min
Whirlfloc @15 min
.5 oz Saaz @ 0 min

OG 1.050
FG 1.008
40 IBU

Two weeks in primary, cold crashed and kegged. Nice and clear, almost as crisp as a lager. This might be my new, fizzy yellow house beer.

f5z7igE.jpg

Fermentis W-34/70 lager yeast will remain well behaved and clean right up to 70 degrees F., and perhaps a bit beyond that. If you can hold ambient at 65 degrees F. you should be fine with it.

One of my usual recipes is essentially a Munich Helles fermented with WLP001. It tastes great, and it's always a crowd pleaser for those that don't drink craft beer. That's the beauty of home brewing. We aren't held captive to style guidelines. Do what you want it will be beer.

I once made a beer using SafAle K-97, which is a Kolsch yeast and it came out clear, like a pilsner, in both colour and taste ( very, very faint esters --- I used this for an IPA and turned out great as well ), low ABV and low IBUs. The attenuation with this yeast is great, especially when mashing low and using a fairly simple grain bill. :fro:

Back