Lager yeast in ale recipe - expected difference in result?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Basically, as the title asks, what difference(s) might one expect in end result if one used a lager yeast for what is billed as an ale recipe?

For example, Sierra Nevada pale ale clone fermented with something like OYL-111/WPL833 bock-type yeast.

Last edited:
It might be just fine but a little "cleaner". Many lager strains are showing fine performance at ale temps. You might want to research that strain and see if anybody has used it in the mid 60's F with positive results.

A bock yeast will tend to accentuate the malt and mute the hops just a tad. Lager yeast in general might have more sulfur and diacetyl initially but it will only last a couple weeks and then disappear so it doesn't really matter.

All in all, it will turn out great. Go for it.

It might be just fine but a little "cleaner". Many lager strains are showing fine performance at ale temps. You might want to research that strain and see if anybody has used it in the mid 60's F with positive results.
I just used WLP833 at about 64 F on my last batch. Turned out great.

I can do it at lager temps too.

Still noodling over something to dump on a OYL-111 cake after I rack off the maibock.

If I did something like a cream ale using that cake, I presume I'd end up with a riff of sorts on a pre-prohibition lager type of beer?

2565 is my house yeast! That being said I have a honey Kolsch that I make in 11 gal batches and split with 833. As clean as 2565 is they are totally different beers. Also my RYE PA is better; smoother and flavors are more distinct with 833 then Notty or BRY 97. I did M 54 and M 84 on a Cali Common recipe ,can't remember the taste outcome ,but I tossed the cake from M 54 and reused M 84 twice.

Lager yeast in general might have more sulfur and diacetyl initially but it will only last a couple weeks
So I did a 1gal test of just Vienna malt (with 34/70) and it has some really off flavor, I assume diacetyl, but nothing close to what any lager should taste like. If I leave these to bottle condition are you saying this flavor should go away? About how long? I assume 6-8 weeks min.

Appreciate all the input, but I sorta backpedaled and decided to stay in the box. Going with a pils using Perle and Hallertau Mittelfruh hops. Brew day TBD.

So I did a 1gal test of just Vienna malt (with 34/70) and it has some really off flavor, I assume diacetyl, but nothing close to what any lager should taste like. If I leave these to bottle condition are you saying this flavor should go away? About how long? I assume 6-8 weeks min.
Taste it about 4 weeks after bottling. Cross your fingers. If it still tastes bad, it might be contamination. W-34/70 should be a very neutral yeast at any temperature.

Appreciate all the input, but I sorta backpedaled and decided to stay in the box. Going with a pils using Perle and Hallertau Mittelfruh hops. Brew day TBD.
This is my top hop combo for Kolsch. The Perle at bittering(60 min) adds some flavor when in a low ABV and IBU beer.

What temperature did you ferment at? Did you raise to a D-rest? How was your yeast health and pitch size?

What temperature did you ferment at? Did you raise to a D-rest? How was your yeast health and pitch size?
In my fridge I fermented at 54F, then raised to 63 and eventually took the fv out to sit on the outside at 65F. After this I "lager" for 2 weeks at 33F.

I pitched 6g of 34/70. The expiration on the package was 2 years away.

In my fridge I fermented at 54F, then raised to 63 and eventually took the fv out to sit on the outside at 65F. After this I "lager" for 2 weeks at 33F.

I pitched 6g of 34/70. The expiration on the package was 2 years away.
You pitched plenty of yeast, so that's no problem. My guess is the off-flavors will fade after about 4 weeks in the bottles. Maybe even 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck.

Back