PID Error - orAL -343

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
anyone know what this error is? I have not been able to find it online.

I have three PIDs and cables. Tonight one PID showed this error. Let the troubleshooting begin. here is what i have done:

Switched a cable from a working PID to the error device. error went away. the cable is the problem.
Tested bad cable on working device, received error - confirmed cable issue.

Time to inspect the cable.
In taking it apart I broke one of the solder joints... fixed the joint, inspected other end. still bad.

Pulled out new length of Auber RTD cable, moved existing ends to a new three wire cable. still error. Swapped red wires on one end, still error. Moved white wire to a different terminal (i have no idea why i thought that would work). still error. Consulted Google. still nothing.

Found a new cable end, replaced the more worn of the two ends. still an error. At this point, everything is new expect one of the cable ends - the one that has been connected to the control box.

Can this cable end possibly be the issue... it must as everything else is new or works. Need to order a second new end to confirm.

Brewing tomorrow short one PID cable... :(

Question - Please confirm I am not messing up the cable wires... white goes to 5 on the controlling and the reds to 3&4. For the cable, the white goes to 3 on both ends and the reds to 1&2. the red cable orientations do not matter.

I have not made a new cable for this thing in a very long time and i want to make sure I am remembering correctly.

Sounds like a bad cable. I cannot remember the error code I get but its "oral" something when the cables are unplugged.

For you question regarding cord placement I would check the electric brewery site, or open a good probe and match to that.

Had the same issue with Auber cables. They are very delicate. I bit the bullet and bought a custom cable from the electric brewery. Problem solved.

I had this same issue. My RTD wires were mixed up in their PID connectors. Just popped the box open, double checked the wiring diagram from the PID manual... saw mhere I got mixed up, quick switch and boom, runs like a dream.

I suppose your results may vary. To dovetail on the above posts, I have heard it cold be as bad as a faulty temp probe.

did you check the connections inside the temp probe at the RTD chip itself? I had one that had a bad solder joint inside the probe where I had to remove the 4 screws and separate the probe housing. Another had a bad solder jointat the end of the lead wire inside the quick conect.

Is this the style probe you have?
PT-50MMNPTa.jpg

Yes, that is the one. The probe is fine as it works with a different cable. In looking at Auber's site last night, i noticed they offer a SS clad cable. I ordered a few of those to replace the bad cable and to give myself a back-up. I guess I will find out in a few days if that solves the problem.

I had the same error code. Bad solder job on a connection. Re-soldered and was good to go.

Agreed. I was using terminals to connect this to my PID. One had slipped off as I put the top on the box.

Couldn't find info anywhere, but re-examed the wiring and found the loosey. Once I hooked it up, no more orAL

Back