Philly Beer Bar Raided....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monk's Cafe Flemish Red kicks arse.

Probably the local AB distributor made the call.

I doubt it. Philly is filled with bars that sell a large variety of craft beers and many of the beers seized are available at many places in the city. If it was an AB distributor with a grudge, there's bigger bars to hit. I think this was more likely someone with some sort of personal vendetta against the owners.

Personally, I'm putting my money on this guy.

I doubt it. Philly is filled with bars that sell a large variety of craft beers and many of the beers seized are available at many places in the city. If it was an AB distributor with a grudge, there's bigger bars to hit. I think this was more likely someone with some sort of personal vendetta against the owners.

Personally, I'm putting my money on this guy.

I stand corrected, that DEFINITELY seems more likely to be the person who did this, it seems like they did enough digging and I bet some lawyer gave them the idea about the beer...

Is it me or is this country entirely too "sue happy"???!!!

If you can stand up right and spend more than 20 minutes away from a toilet and not poop your pants, you do not have food poisoning.

also a good test...do you still desire to live? if so, not food poisoning.

Having been a victim of food poisoning years ago, that is spot on. Also, rarely does just one person wind up with food poisoning. If the restaurant had a problem that night, there'd likely be dozens of complaints. Since this person was probably the only one, they couldn't get an attorney to take their case, so maybe they resorted to other means. It's plausible.

BTW: HTF did you find that?

Having been a victim of food poisoning years ago, that is spot on. Also, rarely does just one person wind up with food poisoning. If the restaurant had a problem that night, there'd likely be dozens of complaints. Since this person was probably the only one, they couldn't get an attorney to take their case, so maybe they resorted to other means. It's plausible.

I concur with these statements, I had salmonella from undercooked chicken when I was 12. I stopped counting how many times I threw up within the first 12 hours at 25 times.

I live in Philadelphia and post on (well, read) that board. I usually just read the section pertaining to my neighborhood, but occasionally pop over to the food section. Like others in that thread, it struck us as odd that there'd be a thread about the supposed food poisoning there by someone who seems to have some sort of weird grudge against the owners and then a few days later there's a raid.

Personally, I've never been to Local 44 or Resurrection, but I've been to Memphis Taproom a couple times. Food was..meh.. but they do have a good beer selection.

Someone in the original article in the newspaper, someone said that it was the people at Philadelphia Brewing Co that caused this. But that doesn't make a bit of sense since Memphis Taproom is right down the street from PBC and sells PBC beer.

There is someone else on philly speaks & commenting on related blogs that has been hate-stalking the owners and these three establishments right before this happened and not the person in that thread.

Either way, who ever this is will expose themselves sooner or later but it really doesn't matter; the more important element of this situation is to re-evaluate the way the registered brand list is maintained for retailers and to ask why this raid happened in the first place?

Look for ... in blog comments...prob the same person and have been pushing a pretty serious online hate-stalk of these folks. Either way, who ever this is will expose themselves sooner or later but it really doesn't matter; the more important element of this situation is to re-evaluate the way the registered brand list is maintained for retailers and to ask why this raid happened in the first place?

At the very least they should change who they target. If the bar owners bought the beer from a licensed distributor, then I'd say they bought it in good faith and the bar shouldn't be punished for the mistake the distributor made. They should go after the distributor, not the bars. Of course, as Joe Sixpack says, the whole list concept is outdated. There's too many craft brewers producing too many different varieties of beer too often to really keep a list like that.

A bit of a side note, apparently the owners in question have brought illegal beer into the state before. They had at some point brought in a couple kegs from across state lines that weren't available in the state. They used the kegs for some special event or something. It's something they admit to having had done, but I think they did that like a year ago.

A bit of a side note, apparently the owners in question have brought illegal beer into the state before. They had at some point brought in a couple kegs from across state lines that weren't available in the state. They used the kegs for some special event or something. It's something they admit to having had done, but I think they did that like a year ago.

1 time, for the opening of Resurrection Ale House, they had a keg of Resurrection Ale from Brewers Art in MD that was donated as a gift. They were warned by the PALCB for that.

I'm going to clarify your statement just slightly.

Alcohol laws in the state or "Commonwealth" of Pennsylvania are just plain insane.

I bet if you look into it the bar owners didn't vote for Fast Eddie in the last election...

a) why is Commonwealth in quotes?
b) what does the latest Commonwealth gubernatorial election have to do with the PA Liquor Code?
c) brewt00l has some great insight on this topic.
d) so does Jack Curtain (and his commenters): http://jackcurtin.com/ldo/?p=1489

Some fallout from this:
- Flying Fish has rescheduled the launch of their Exit 16 beer due to delays in getting it on the list.
- Bars aren't getting deliveries of Duvel Belgian Golden Ale

If you don't realize by now that government "law enforcement" agencies are merely for-profit tax collection agencies, then you are truly blind. (not directed at anyone in particular)

They could give a crap less about serving and protecting the public. They are a tool to keep you in line and pay your dues. Like it was said, murder, rape, and steal all you want, but if you don't pay your taxes, you will be hunted down like a dog.

If you don't realize by now that government "law enforcement" agencies are merely for-profit tax collection agencies, then you are truly blind. (not directed at anyone in particular)

They could give a crap less about serving and protecting the public. They are a tool to keep you in line and pay your dues. Like it was said, murder, rape, and steal all you want, but if you don't pay your taxes, you will be hunted down like a dog.

actually.... PLCB officers are a unit of the PA State Police, so the officers that raided the bar were actually doing their job, albeit poorly

I was out & about at lunch time enjoying the sunshine & the local Philly sports talk station WIP was discussing this story. The bar owners are getting a pretty good spin out of this story & coming out looking a whole lot better than the law enforcement officers who apprehended 60 gallons of unarmed beer.

I find two things troubling. How incredibly inept the Philly police are and that beer was sold for $25 a glass.

Anyhoo, I do hope there will be law suits that's a fiasco.

Just makes me proud to be a citizen of this glorious Commonwealth. At least out here in the Western burbs of Philly we have Victory brewing...although if PA had its way, the PLCB would shut them down and make us all go to distributors for our MBC beer.

To paraphrase James Carville: "Pennsylvania consists of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between." With apologies to the good people of Alabama, of course.

not true, someone was just saying how in WI, kids can drink at the bar underage as long as theyre with a parent.

For the most part that is true. Anyone under 21 can drink, as long as they have parent/guardian/spouse (aged 21 or older) with them. It's entirely up to the bar to decide if they want to allow this, but I have only been to one bar that doesn't provide this awesome experience.

I love Wisconsin.

oooo... Despite the general outcry of "how stupid is this?!", the PLCB is continuing with the raids. This time on one of the distributors that supplied the beer.

The Bureau of Liquor Enforcement agents arrived about 7 p.m. last night and conducted a search of the warehouse, specifically looking for Origlio’s share of brands they’d confiscated from the bars last week. This includes: Duvel, Monk’s Cafe Sour Flemish Ale, Hacker-Pschorr and Russian River Supplication.
http://joesixpack.net/blog/archives/601

Hopefully, that's the upside to this. It might lead to an overhaul of the beer regulations.

I really doubt we will see an "overhaul" anytime soon.

The only chance we have is that the distributors are smelling change in the wind. The same distributors who rallied against a law that would allow them to sell 6-packs are now behind changes that involve them being able to sell 6-packs. The difference? Now they are scared that grocery/convenience stores could get that right and they want to keep their piece of the pie.

I'm sure you have seen this site by now:

http://www.freemybeer.com/

Maybe we could get this outdated registering practice thrown into that legislation as well?

Maybe we could get this outdated registering practice thrown into that legislation as well?

I don't even so much mind the registration list. I mean, yeah, it's stupid, but really it's not that big of a deal in and of itself. What IS a big deal, however is how the PLCB is handling it. They went in guns-a-blazing (almost literally) instead of trying to take some time to sit down and work a small clerical issue out in a reasonable manner.

Three comments:

1. I wonder who the dip**** that complained is. That's a pretty criptic bit of state alcohol law the average person on the street isn't going to know. Probably another bar owner who is losing business to them.

2. If the state accepted tax payment on unpermitted beer, did the state break the law too?

3. $7200 for 61 gallons of beer? That an average price of $11 per 12 oz bottle. I'm guilty of drinking some expensive ****, but what the hell are they serving? That ain't the average micro brew or Orval.

3. $7200 for 61 gallons of beer? That an average price of $11 per 12 oz bottle. I'm guilty of drinking some expensive ****, but what the hell are they serving? That ain't the average micro brew or Orval.

The local place by me that I assume is comparable to this bar serves Orval for about $10/ 12ozish bottle. Doesn't seem that crazy.

So they're hitting distributors with Duvel now? I just bought a 4 pack at one of the few grocery stores that sells in less than case quantities. I should alert the distributor I buy my cases from about this, but I'm sure they heard about it already.

This story is amazing with its twists, turns, and accusations. The registration system in Pennsylvania is obviously broken, and it goes further than just beer.

I do a lot of work with the PA Dept. of Transportation and they also have products that must be "registered" before they are used in state construction jobs. On the surface it seems like a good way to protect people by using "approved" products, but the same problems exist here, too. We've had products denied because the State's registry has the company name spelled wrong, abbreviated improperly, or they entered a part number incorrectly (all errors that they created). Once this happens you have to go through the whole process again, usually creating delays and costing people money.

Pennsylvania's bureaucracy has become a monster that no one can tame. I feel bad for everyone involved in this.

If it hasn't been posted, I found this in that troll's thread.

Oy, what a mess.

Someone posted the PLCB Consumer Suggestions/Comments e-mail address on a beeradvocate.com forum: [email protected]

If you're looking to voice your opinion on this particular matter,
this might be a good start.

Cheers!
Leigh

EDIT: And here's a blog about the PLCB http://noplcb.blogspot.com/

So they're hitting distributors with Duvel now? I just bought a 4 pack at one of the few grocery stores that sells in less than case quantities. I should alert the distributor I buy my cases from about this, but I'm sure they heard about it already.

One of the blogs had a link to the "list" of approved beers. I noticed immediately that while Trois Pistoles was listed, Le Fin du Monde was not. I just bought some of this no more than a week ago. It's very obvious that this list is not kept properly.

For the most part that is true. Anyone under 21 can drink, as long as they have parent/guardian/spouse (aged 21 or older) with them. It's entirely up to the bar to decide if they want to allow this, but I have only been to one bar that doesn't provide this awesome experience.

I love Wisconsin.

Our wonderful state legislature is at work trying to change this.

Well I sent a message and a link about the story to an employee. That way if they don't know they do now. I should volunteer to keep the "unregistered" beer at my house for a small fee. :tank: I am sure they have a LOT of unregistered stuff considering the amount of strange and obscure things they carry (Westy's Beer Distributor in Mechanisburg).

Our wonderful state legislature is at work trying to change this.

think of the children!

I find it funny that they are going to distributors to look for Monks Cafe Flemish but havent gone to... Monks Cafe. Thats where i see the follow up story being a bit wrong. I think they are taking leaps saying they are trying to pick up Duvel and Monks where they may have moved on to just getting unregistered beers

A local bar was going to put one of my kegs on tap as a free thing to see how it goes, but now all this **** makes me leery.

A local bar was going to put one of my kegs on tap as a free thing to see how it goes, but now all this **** makes me leery.

I can't see why any bar would want to do this. If they gave these away as comp drinks, it would save them whatever they would have given away. But then if a customer orders another, they either have to give them a second free drink (not the point of comping a drink) or tell them "no, you can't have what you want because I cannot sell it to you and we can only give away one drink per person."

I called my rep's office and sent a decently long email. He's a reasonable guy and has responded to me personally in the past, not just canned responses. I doubt he has even heard about this happening in Philly. I made sure to tell him I bought some Duvel locally but not where and questioned how this fiasco applies to beer but not wine. I also gave him a little beer education in an as tactful way as I could. I'll want and see what he says they're in session so it might be a bit till he gets back to me.

Back