Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have brew cafe beers on tap? Had friends go that aren’t beer people and they enjoyed themselves.

I'll be in Philly Wednesday - Saturday morning and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. Anyone have any good recommendations close by for breakfast/lunch?

I'll be in Philly Wednesday - Saturday morning and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. Anyone have any good recommendations close by for breakfast/lunch?

Reading terminal market. Try a dinic’s roast pork before you leave. Termini’s cannolis and Hershel’s hot pastrami also up there. Great wings at deiners if you can find it in a corner near 12th and arch too (behind the breakfast counter). Also plenty of Asian options in there. Sang kee for noodle soup and dumplings.

Don’t eat breakfast there a lot but stick with the Dutch counter near 12th and arch.

Toms dim sum is right there too. Great soup dumplings.

If you want to venture into Chinatown, it’s not far and I would be happy to give you more places (Korean, ramen). Reading terminal is an institution though and there’s plenty of great/local food to try there.

I second the roast pork recommendation, and if you can handle a short excursion south walking or Lyft or whatever, South Philly Barbacoa is a really special taco experience. They're always changing things around, so maybe read up what they're doing these days, but their pork tacos and lamb barbacoa tacos are ridiculous. I'd skip the hibiscus water, it's pretty much Kool Aid.

Oh, I'm two weeks late... will let the post ride for other interested parties

oh yes! great beer all around! i've had it a few times on tap at Monks but i'll probably make the trip next Tue. anyone else planning on going!?

I’ve had it in bottle twice now but still not on draught. I’d be curious to taste the difference (if at all).

http://www2.philly.com/news/wawa-sp-coffee-beer-collab-20181129.html

Wawa and 2SP Brewing collaborate on a coffee beer
by Michael Klein, Updated: November 29, 2018- 9:00 AM

HKZVJNGYBBDJZATMYKUGTWSBDE.jpg

The Winter Reserve Coffee Stout by 2SP Brewing Co. and Wawa.

Convenience-store giant Wawa is getting into the beer game, in a partnership with 2SP Brewing Co., the award-winning brewery located in Aston, about 15 minutes from its corporate headquarters in Delaware County.

Winter Reserve Coffee Stout, created by 2SP head brewer Bob Barrar, combines Wawa’s limited-edition Winter Blend coffee with 2SP’s oatmeal stout. Wawa and 2SP say its flavor profile includes notes of sweet clove, dark chocolate, and graham crackers; a sample was not made available in advance.

The beer will be launched at 4 p.m. Dec. 6 at the Wawa store at 721 Naamans Creek Rd. in Chadds Ford, the only Wawa in Pennsylvania that sells beer.

At the firkin-tapping event, the first 50 cases will be available to purchase, first come, first serve, with a limit of two four-packs per person.

The beer will be available for purchase during the week of Dec. 10 through Origlio Beverage, which distributes to neighborhood bars and bottle shops in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Only 1,000 cases will be available.

The idea stemmed from a 2SP meeting in October. The brew team was drinking Wawa coffee -- but each had different roasts, said Michael Contreras, 2SP’s director of sales and marketing.

Barrar was drinking regular, brewer Andrew “Ruby” Rubenstein was drinking the Reserve series, and Contreras was drinking Cuban. “Next thing you know, we are trying each one, talking about the merits of each coffee, similar to the way we do with beer,” Contreras said. “It seemed like the only thing we agreed on that day was our taste in coffee. Then it occurred to us; Why don’t we hit up our neighbors at Wawa and see if they had any interest in brewing a coffee stout with us?”

A week or so later, Contreras said, Wawa executives visited the brewery for a tasting and discussion of a possible collaboration.

“Aside from Bob being a Delco native, like Wawa, what seemed to really click was that he had a similar approach and desire for beer that Michael McLaughlin, Wawa’s coffee guru, had for his coffee roasts,” Contreras said. “The two geeked out and we could see that something pretty cool and tasty could come out of getting these two together.”

Hello Philly area people.

I will be at the Grey Lodge tomorrow for their annual "Groundhog Day Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast & Lucky Cat Beer Prognostication" Day.

If any of you are there look for me. I'll be wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

hey kids, i'll be out March 9-12 for Philly Chef Conference, and i'm teaming up with Nicholas Elmi at Royal Boucherie for a beer dinner on Monday the 11th. No details/tix yet, but it should be fun
Leading any panels? Attending what I can around my work schedule.

Leading any panels? Attending what I can around my work schedule.

Yep i'm doing a Beer & Bites and my pseudo philosophy of flavor triangles on the afternoon of the 11th. 3 beers/3 bites (also by Elmi) designed to make your brain go weird, so texture/flavor/sensory changes based on the bite

Yep i'm doing a Beer & Bites and my pseudo philosophy of flavor triangles on the afternoon of the 11th. 3 beers/3 bites (also by Elmi) designed to make your brain go weird, so texture/flavor/sensory changes based on the bite
Oh awesome. I didnt realize that was you on the schedule. That was one of the ones I was looking forward to attending. Im normally the on-call for Mondays so fingers crossed the book wont be too full and I can make it.

If you're a fan of cask ale. (and if you're not - what is wrong with you?) Yards Real Ale Invitational returns this April 14.

Did you know that Yards moved a few blocks west in the Fall of 2017 to our new brewery and taproom at 5th and Spring Garden? We took a little hiatus to get settled into the new digs, but now we're ready to bring back our most beloved festival, and it's gonna be bigger than ever.

The Yards 2019 Real Ale Invitational will have 60 cask-conditioned beers from from the latest and greatest Philly area breweries, your favorite American brewers, the OGs from across the Pond, and of course, Yards. Sample as you roam our brewhouse and packaging facility. Jam to live music in our warehouse surrounded by towering walls of kegs, cans, and bottles (selfie opportunities abound). And enjoy hearty British fare in our sunlit, spacious taproom.

All guests will receive a commemorative glass and guide to the day's festivities. All tickets also include food and live music to enjoy throughout the afternoon. Beer is included for regular admission ticket holders only. Tickets will be available at the door for an additional charge if the event does not sell out. (Real Ale has sold out for the last six years, so we don't recommend waiting.) This event will be held rain or shine and guests must be 21+ to attend.

What is real ale?

Cask ale (or real ale) is unfiltered, unpasteurized beer that carbonates naturally inside a cask rather than using nitrogen or carbon dioxide pressure. This brewing method originated in England and Yards helped resurrect the style in Philly over 20 years ago with our Extra Special Ale.

Ok so my hotel room features a welcome bottle of gin from a local distiller, so I guess this is going to be a fun trip.

Where am I eating and drinking today? Ideally I’d like to grab a pork roll egg & cheese and get a picture of the liberty bell for Instagram.

Ok so my hotel room features a welcome bottle of gin from a local distiller, so I guess this is going to be a fun trip.

Where am I eating and drinking today? Ideally I’d like to grab a pork roll egg & cheese and get a picture of the liberty bell for Instagram.

Reading Terminal? Might be too late in the day to get a Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese.

Drinking and eating? You can use http://www.phillytapfinder.com/ to check out bars and what they have to drink.

If you want a bar that serves all local beers go to South Philly Tap Room.

If this was Beer Advocate everyone would tell you to get on the train and head to Tired Hands.

Pliny the Younger is also in town if you're around to hit up some events. Check Philly Tap Finder for that as well.

Ok spent almost all of last night at Local 44. Dinic’s Roast Pork for breakfast today, and then coffee at Milkcrate. At Royal Boucherie now for some fancy cocktail reception for conference people. Thinking Han Dynasty for dinner and then over to Underground Arts for The Black Queen show.

Ok spent almost all of last night at Local 44. Dinic’s Roast Pork for breakfast today, and then coffee at Milkcrate. At Royal Boucherie now for some fancy cocktail reception for conference people. Thinking Han Dynasty for dinner and then over to Underground Arts for The Black Queen show.

You’re doing pretty well. Han is delicious. Would need to know what kind of food you want for any other ideas.

Not sure if you can squeeze into the bar at zahav but it’s definitely worth it.

Anyone know of bottles of Cantillon 20 ans d’ Amitié are still kicking at Monk’s? Was hoping to crack one when I’m in town this weekend.

That's why they closed? That's awful.

edit: Though reading the article, it seems to say the owner of the brewery sold the building? Seems to imply he didn't want the brewery anymore in that case since why else would he sell the building?

Building must be worth way more than he’s making selling beer.

It does sort of skirt the fact that selling the things separately was most likely going to result in the brewery being asked to leave.

That's why they closed? That's awful.

edit: Though reading the article, it seems to say the owner of the brewery sold the building? Seems to imply he didn't want the brewery anymore in that case since why else would he sell the building?

ah, yeah, that's actually what happened. though their statements on social media made it seem confusing.

Latest posts

Back