Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought that was his most recent stop....

Thankfully the second district beers don't look like chicken soup

Nope, he was the brewer at the Tired Hands Brew Cafe before 2nd District.

edit: Dock Street -> Dogfish Head -> Tired Hands Brew Cafe (believe he was the only one) -> 2nd District. I believe that's correct.

I checked 2nd District out last week, and enjoyed it, mostly. The pales/IPAs didn't do it for me (the IPA in particular was extremely green/grassy). I enjoyed the dark mild quite a lot, and the saisons were good too, but I suspect that mostly is the fault of F&M's yeast. I'd give em another shot if I'm in the area, but probably wouldn't make a special trip again.

Still, Bar Hygge > 2nd District.

I say this as someone who lives within a 5 minute walk of Hygge, their beers are not good. I want to like them given how close they are to me, but I've been underwhelmed by every single beer I've tried.

I say this as someone who lives within a 5 minute walk of Hygge, their beers are not good. I want to like them given how close they are to me, but I've been underwhelmed by every single beer I've tried.
Really? I think not good is an exaggeration. I've liked some of them well enough. The nitro stout they had on for a while was enjoyable too. But, whatever, it's not my place so you can have your opinion. Also, we apparently live near each other.

edit: Some have definitely been poor though. Perkuno's Hammer was pretty mediocre. I've enjoy the blood orange sour even though it's super in your face.

Anyone ever been to Cinder? Thinking about going there for brunch on Sunday but want to know if it's worth it and whether kids are welcome there.

Bru doesn't strike me as the most kid friendly place and can't say I've ever seen a high chair there if that helps at all....

Meant bru. It's the same restaurant group so sort of assuming their thoughts on kids at their bars are similar....can always call

Meant bru. It's the same restaurant group so sort of assuming their thoughts on kids at their bars are similar....can always call
Oh that makes more sense. Yeah I know I can call just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with Cinder here.

been meaning to check out cinder but alas have not made it. do the waitresses wear them booty shorts there too?

Cinder is great but can get packed. They have a huge PA cider guild event going on this Sunday for beer week. Bunch of weird sour ciders and stuff. No booty shorts though unless you want to wear your own.

Also this
NXpgKgs.jpg

Brewery Science Theater 3000
Come get in touch with your inner nerd on at Clarkville this Saturday 6/3 at 6pm with Wyndridge Farm and Vault Brewing! Jason Stewart from Wyndridge and Jason Macais will be leading a beer flavor class (with free samples naturally) at West Philly Homebrew Outlet from 3:30-5pm. No reservations needed, just come on down! We will then be heading to Clarkville for a very special Philly Beer Week event kicking off at 6pm with special beers and ciders galore! The brewer from Vault and the cider maker from Wyndridge will be on hand to talk shop and answer any questions on rocket science, thermodynamics and astrophysics you may have. The mad scientists behind Clarkville and Wyndridge Farm Brewing have team up to create a cider inspired by their mutual admiration for Mystery Science Theater 3000. Its called "In The Not Too Disatnt Future" and its made with with 100% local apples grown in Adams and York county, PA and further aged on Saturn peaches, galaxy and comet hops for some intergalactic fantastic notes. This will only be available for a very short time on draft at Clarkville, Local 44 and Strangeloves. Growlers to go will be available at Clarkville for you to sip while contemplating the stars in West Philly. We will also be screening some classic MST3K episodes and Clarkvilles galaxy traveled chef Justin Bennett will be turning out some super special pies inspired by the show. Anyone with a costume or robot gets their first drink on Wyndridge (21+ of course). But wait! It gets even better! We will be pouring a firkin of Vault Philly Armada straight off the bar and pints will only be $3 while it lasts. Free Tshirt to whoever kicks the firkin! Full taplist below. Hopefully we will see you at Clarkville in the not too distant future (well, 6pm this Saturday to be exact)

Wyndridge Farm Brewing:

In The Not Too Distant Future Wyndridge/Clarkville collaboration cider

Mojito Cider

Mosaic Rye Ale

Merlot barrel aged watermelon sour ale (Brewery only)

Vault Brewing:

Philly Armada (firkin)

Mosaic Double IPA

Chinook Pale Ale

Kolsch

I don't think this is the thread for this, but I don't know where else to ask (short of creating a brewery specific thread).

I'm thinking of hitting up Sole's anniversary party this weekend. I'm sure it will be slightly more crowded than usual, but I've never been, so I'm trying to figure out how much of a ******** can releases tend to be, and by what time they generally taper off. Also, is there anything else near the Bottle + Bar that is worth my time?

I got nothing for you but you could just create a thread. It'll fall off the first page if no one cares about it.

Anything cool happening this weekend? I'm in town for a wedding Saturday night, but will have time during the day and most of Sunday to kill as well.

I'm staying about a 5 minute walk from Frankford Hall. I used to spend a lot of time over there, but haven't been in a few years. Anything can't miss, or should I just get shithoused at Barcade?

Anything cool happening this weekend? I'm in town for a wedding Saturday night, but will have time during the day and most of Sunday to kill as well.

I'm staying about a 5 minute walk from Frankford Hall. I used to spend a lot of time over there, but haven't been in a few years. Anything can't miss, or should I just get shithoused at Barcade?

Sorry to have missed this - but I would have recommended Second District. In South Philly, so a little ride but had a couple pretty nice beers up. Fishtown-wise, not much changed.

Hello....is this thing on....?

Anyone know where in the SEPA (MontCo/Bucks area) that I could find some beers by Schmaltz? Has anyone seen them around?

Any recommendations for bars near First Unitarian Church? Heading there for a concert Friday night

Any recommendations for bars near First Unitarian Church? Heading there for a concert Friday night
Tria Tap Room and V Street (vegan restaurant, but often a great draft list) are probably your closest beer-wise. Monk's, Good Dog, and Jose Pistola's are also a short walk. There are a few good cocktail places that are even closer if you aren't feeling beer: 1 Tippling Place, The Franklin, a.bar, Village Whiskey, FridaySaturdaySunday.

Tria Tap Room and V Street (vegan restaurant, but often a great draft list) are probably your closest beer-wise. Monk's, Good Dog, and Jose Pistola's are also a short walk. There are a few good cocktail places that are even closer if you aren't feeling beer: 1 Tippling Place, The Franklin, a.bar, Village Whiskey, FridaySaturdaySunday.

Perfect, thanks!

What is liberty lands? Going to Google it in a minute.

Edit: a park in North Philly?

What is liberty lands? Going to Google it in a minute.

Edit: a park in North Philly?

Yeah it's a neighborhood owned park, so it's ok to drink there. Nice spot with picnic tables, a community garden, playground, etc...

Hey all. At some point, there was a meme of Todd with a bunch of Huna bottles. Anyone have it handy? Thanks. Long story.

Latest posts

Back