Over carbed after bottles from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moscoeb

Reaction score
Bottled a Scottish ale from my keg using racking cane and stopper a few months ago. It was fine in the keg, at about 8-9psi an tasted great.
Last night I opened one of the bottles and it foamed everywhere when I poured it in my glass and tasted way over carbed.
What is the difference?

MachineShopBrewing said:
You must have picked up an infection or kicked up some kind of fermentation.
No infection that I could tell, multiple bottles the same, no altered taste except for carb taste.

billl said:
Did you toss it in fridge for 48 hours first?
Was in the fridge for weeks.

Could I have possibly capped them too quickly after agitating it while filling the bottle?

moscoeb said:
No infection that I could tell, multiple bottles the same, no altered taste except for carb taste. Was in the fridge for weeks. Could I have possibly capped them too quickly after agitating it while filling the bottle?

That wouldn't have created any more carbonation than the kegged beer had to begin with. I bet it wasn't quite at FG when you kegged, but you stopped fermentation as long as the beer was cold. The yeast woke up after bottling and being at room temperature for awhile, and polished off the remaining sugar in the beer.

ong said:
That wouldn't have created any more carbonation than the kegged beer had to begin with. I bet it wasn't quite at FG when you kegged, but you stopped fermentation as long as the beer was cold. The yeast woke up after bottling and being at room temperature for awhile, and polished off the remaining sugar in the beer.

If I remember correctly this one was in secondary for a long time and I hit my fg dead on.
I will have to go back and look at notes and dates to be sure though.

Well, CO2 doesn't just make itself. It if was properly carbed in the keg and you let it come back to equilibrium at serving temp and still got gushers, then you picked up CO2 somewhere. Either your original yeast or a wild yeast was creating it.

Will it eventually go back into solution of it has been agitated in the bottle?
Is 8-9 psi too much psi for the bottle. Should bottle psi be slightly lower?

They weren't gushers as soon as I opened then. Just a lot of head and that bubbly feeling on the tongue.

Back