Over carbonated my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR BEER

Reaction score
I kegged a Red Ale and forced carbonated it @ 30psi for about 28 hours. I rolled it quite a bit after kegging and again after it was chilled the next day. It is obviously over carbed as I get tons of foam when drawing a glass of beer. Is there an easy way to knock it back down to 12psi?

I kegged a Red Ale and forced carbonated it @ 30psi for about 28 hours. I rolled it quite a bit after kegging and again after it was chilled the next day. It is obviously over carbed as I get tons of foam when drawing a glass of beer. Is there an easy way to knock it back down to 12psi?
Yep... do the same thing you did to carb it, just backwards.

Get the keg to room temp, release the gas, give it a shake, release the gas. Do this several times and it will de-carb the beer.

just tap and drink it. as you drink it the head space will increase and it will decarb into the head space until it reaches the set point on your regulator.

Back