oops...no flaked barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I am about to brew up Ed Wort's porter recipe which calls for 1/2# of flaked barley. I was certain I had some in stock, but it turns out not. No turning back now, though, so I'll have to modify. If not familiar w/the recipe, it calls for a mash temp of 150 and 8 oz malto dextrin to add body (which I assume the flaked barley will also do)

Options:
1. Forget about the flaked barley and do the recipe as listed otherwise.
2. Add 1/2# of carapils in place of the flaked barley...the thought being that it may achieve some of the things flaked barley is intended to do.

Any opinions??

I'd almost suggest some rolled oats but it's not exactly the same as flaked barley. They're the same in that both are unmalted grains that have been rolled and will add a certain mouth feel. But to me oats are more oily and have a more pronounced flavor.

I'd almost suggest some rolled oats but it's not exactly the same as flaked barley. They're the same in that both are unmalted grains that have been rolled and will add a certain mouth feel. But to me oats are more oily and have a more pronounced flavor.

Sorry, no flavor with oats. They do provide a velvet texture to the drink though.

Sorry, no flavor with oats. They do provide a velvet texture to the drink though.

About half way down, describes some of the flavors you can expect from using oats.

BYO Cookie In A Glass

Yeah I think oats are the best sub here. The main point of the barley being in the recipe is to add some beta-glucans for nice head retention. Oats provide similar insoluable fiber.

Back