Usage of special malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bo.dalenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all clever people! After my first 4 years as a home brewer, I have botanized among recipes and ingredients. I prefer to brew different IPA's and some porter. The thing is that I now have a lot of ingredients that I think can be replaced with each other. So my special malts that I have in stock right now for my recipes are:

• Chit Barley Flakes
  • Chit Wheat Flakes
  • Flaked Torrefied Oats
  • Naked Oats
  • Torrefied Wheat
  • Barley Flakes
  • Wheat Flakes
  • Oat Flakes

And so my question .... which can be replaced by which? The idea is that I could get by with three four of these or ?? And for eventual suggested replacements is there a 1 to 1 or?
Thanks in advance!

SORRY ... I found that I asked the same one year ago ....:eek: And now posted this but I can't find a way to remove my post!??!
Agans sorry and thanks for the good answer on my previous post! :oops:

Why worry about the same or similar post that was made in the past?

It's not a bad thing to have the same question ask again and again. I might get some new thoughts.

Since it was you that ask that other time, we'll just think you are getting to that age where forgetfulness happens! Though one or two others might blast you for it... hopefully in a nice way.

Oh wow... yes, I would indeed consider many of these largely indistinguishable. Many people will demonstrate strong opinions on using one or the other, but I have yet so see anyone prove they are actually able to taste a difference in a blind tasting...

Group A
Chit Barley Flakes
Chit Wheat Flakes
Barley Flakes
Wheat Flakes
Oat Flakes

Group B
Flaked Torrefied Oats
Torrefied Wheat

Group C
Naked Oats

I have never tried the torrefied stuff myself, but they should be a little more toasty, so I separated them from the other ones.
Naked Oats - presuming you mean the crystal malt "Golden Naked Oats" - have a pretty unique flavour,.I believe. I recently rebrewed a beer that had been one of my favourite batches (a kind of 3.5% NEIPA-esque ale) and had to substitute the Golden Naked Oats with regular flaked oats, and the malt character came out vastly different (The "plain oats" batch was a bit disappointing in comparison).

I'm not saying the malts in each group are the same, but I think that in moderate amounts (up to,.say,.20%) it will be extremely hard to taste the difference in an otherwise flavourful beer (you mentioned brewing IPAs and porters, mostly).

Edit: something that I enjoyed doing was making "malt teas" in a thermos mug to taste malts side by side. For adjuncts, mix them 50:50 with pale or pilsner malt.

Hullo! I am planning on a NEIPA shortly and the recipe calls for Torrefied Oats. I have Torrefied Barley at home and was wondering how interchangeable they are, and if this is advised at all as a substitution.

Thank you.
Amrith

Hullo! I am planning on a NEIPA shortly and the recipe calls for Torrefied Oats. I have Torrefied Barley at home and was wondering how interchangeable they are, and if this is advised at all as a substitution.

Thank you.
Amrith
Oats are used liberally in NEIPA because they’re thought to help develop the signature haze. And there’s an idea that the haze is more than cosmetic, and actually helps stabilize hop aroma compounds in suspension.

In terms of taste and mouthfeel of the grains themselves they will be pretty similar.

So … it may well have an effect on the beer. But I doubt it will turn a good beer into a bad one, or vice versa.

Oats are used liberally in NEIPA because they’re thought to help develop the signature haze. And there’s an idea that the haze is more than cosmetic, and actually helps stabilize hop aroma compounds in suspension.

In terms of taste and mouthfeel of the grains themselves they will be pretty similar.

So … it may well have an effect on the beer. But I doubt it will turn a good beer into a bad one, or vice versa.
Got it. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back