Ooops, I dropped my hydrometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHillBrewCo

Reaction score
I dropped it on my ceramic tile floor in the kitchen and it blasted apart. Butter-frickin-fingers, man. Oh well, I shall replace thee! Anyway, I wanted to take a hydrometer reading but I know it's early. I'm only on day 9 of fermentation. I'm just really curious as to how my first brew is going to turn out. I am in no way trying to rush anything. I'm attempting to make a strawberry blonde. So here's what I'm curious about: I took less than a shots worth of my brew from the spigot and it smells great, nothing seems off. Pretty much smells like a strawberry blonde brew. The brew is very cloudy with lots of floaters but the color is definitely looking strawberry blondish. The taste of the brew is more winey right now. I'm feeling good and I think it's going to be great! I'm just curious as to the floaters clearing up and the taste getting a little more to the beer side rather than wine. Is this normal for 9 days into fermentation? I'm suspecting from what I've read it will clear more with more fermentation, bottle conditioning and finally cold conditioning in the fridge before I drink it. Since I've used fresh strawberry puree and clover honey with the OG being approximately 1050 do I need to plan on a longer fermentation? Any input is greatly appreciated and I apologize in advance if I come off like an antsy noob. It's really not my intention. I have patience and I don't mind waiting for great brew! Thanks in advance! :mug:

I'd say leave it alone for about 2 more weeks. In the meantime, you can go buy another hydrometer. Take a reading then. Then decide what to do.

I'd give it a total of 4 weeks fermentation to be safe. I generally do three weeks, but fruit and honey can take a bit longer.

When you buy a hydrometer, buy two. I switched to a refractometer in part because I kept breaking them.

You are better off waiting, rather than taking it out of the fermenter too soon. From what you posted, I am guessing you aren't doing secondary, so I would suggest another two weeks.

You should also get something to filter the berries when you rack to the bottling bucket. People use things like nylon knee-highs over the intake.

mattmcl is right, buy two hydrometers. If you have a backup, you'll never break the first one. That's just the way it works.

Latest posts

Back