Oldest U.S. Beer Maker, Yuengling, Eyes Expansion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my go to standard for cheap good beer as well. It's $10 a 12er here and goes on sale for $8.99 every couple of months. Also, the brewery is very accomodating to the local home brew clubs - they let us use their tasting room for several rounds of judging during the club circuit competition we host each spring.

Ive been meaning to go to tour the facility in Tampa. It would be nice to see other people get to try it out. I like their thoughts of just keeping it simple as going into unkown markets might just be a recipe for failure.

I hope they keep it up and dont sell out in the future.

I see it very rarely, every once in awhile I'll come across it. Either a friend will bring some home or I find it across state lines.

Either way, I love their black and tans! and its like trying to find a sandbox in middle of the dessert.

Revvy, my wife is from PA and I get a case every couple of months when we go see her family. I have some at home right now. I we ever get to meet I will bring you some.

Bring him the porter for sure. I love the porter. I'm a sucker for that stuff when I see it on sale especially. I got a free porter stemmed glass last time I bought some. Yum I actually have some lager in the fridge because I can drink it and my father in law won't drink my home brews. Their too "fancy" for him he says.

Bring him the porter for sure. I love the porter. I'm a sucker for that stuff when I see it on sale especially. I got a free porter stemmed glass last time I bought some. Yum I actually have some lager in the fridge because I can drink it and my father in law won't drink my home brews. Their too "fancy" for him he says.

The porter is great and the black and tan is awesome...the porter is brewed with lager yeast they dont use ale yeast in the porter, just the chesterfield ale, which is pretty good but sometimes inconsistent.

Again with the eastern PA order of "lager" at the bar gets you Yuengling. Gotta love it.

From PA here too. It's a great go-to beer but I only drink it in the summer -- somehow it always tastes a little off in the winter months.

I grew up on Yuengling, and I still love the stuff. Lager is the lifeblood of southeast PA, and I hope it stays that way for a long time. Yuengling has maintained a shining example of a business model in my opinion: sincere advertising, honest perseverance, respect for tradition, and above all, loyalty to their customer base. I tell ya, I've been on the Yuengling tour four or five times now, and I get prouder of this local treasure each time.

Now if only they'd stop ignoring my resume and hire me....

crazy, im 30 born and raised in Orange County CA, moved to az in 2006 and this is the first i'm hearing of this brewery. the big 3 do a damn good job of making a person think there is nothing else out there.

-=Jason=-

I am a Pennslyvanian transplant living in Las Vegas. Yuengling porter is one of my favorites. I've looked here in Nevada, nobody carries it though.

The Porter is my favorite from those guys. I've got a pretty good clone recipe if you are interested.

their bock logo may be my favorite of any beer.
yuengling-bock-lo.jpg

The actual beer is a nice treat too! Only available seasonally for a really short window of time. I am headed to the Pottsville brewery on the 29th of this month! Good times.

Additionally, it is funny that "lager" is now synonymous for Yuengling, seeing as they only started brewing it a little over 20 years ago!

My wife's cousin owns a liquor store and I asked him if he could get any Yeungling in his store. He did a little research and talked with is beer rep and told me they won't export to MI...so hopefully that changes soon. Anytime my neighbor or uncle goes out of town, they always bring back a few cases because everybody here loves them (just had the black and tan for the first time up at deer camp...tasty!)

My wife, who is becoming an educated beer drinker herself, says that the lager really isn't anything special. So I wonder, for those of us who can't buy it on a regular basis, is the beer really THAT good, or is it because it's not available that makes it good?

Any time I drive back East, Yuengling is my beer of choice, if I'm not getting a craft / micro.

My wife's cousin owns a liquor store and I asked him if he could get any Yeungling in his store. He did a little research and talked with is beer rep and told me they won't export to MI...so hopefully that changes soon. Anytime my neighbor or uncle goes out of town, they always bring back a few cases because everybody here loves them (just had the black and tan for the first time up at deer camp...tasty!)

My wife, who is becoming an educated beer drinker herself, says that the lager really isn't anything special. So I wonder, for those of us who can't buy it on a regular basis, is the beer really THAT good, or is it because it's not available that makes it good?

It really isn't all that special. However when compared to the normal BMC crap it is leaps and bounds better. The regular lager actually tastes like something other than carbonation.

Yuengling is partially made by Budweiser though, correct? I know the original brewery in Pottsville is still operational, but I'm pretty sure Budweiser brews a lot of Yuengling's beer. Does that still make them an American company when their beer is made by a foreign owned company?

Also, the Lager is boring to my palate.

Yuengling is always a good stand-by choice if you want something decent that won't break the bank. A step or two above BMC, but considerably cheaper then most craft brews / imports. Now it's not up to par with most of these. But for the price you can't beat it.

The Lager isn't bad for what it is. Far better than BMC. I live an hour from the Pa. line and can't buy it here in Ohio.

My neighbor really likes it, so I bought some the last time I was in WV. That's hard core cheap A-B country and they had it hidden in the bottom of the cooler in a corner. :p

I didn't finish the last Yuengling draft I ordered. Sorry, y'all, it's no better than the the other macros. I haven't tried the much lauded Porter or Black and Tan. I'd probably taste one of them if it were given to me. All of their products are available on my grocery shelves... right where they belong, too.... down by the Bud.

Yuengling is partially made by Budweiser though, correct? I know the original brewery in Pottsville is still operational, but I'm pretty sure Budweiser brews a lot of Yuengling's beer. Does that still make them an American company when their beer is made by a foreign owned company?

False. Yuengling brews all of their own beer. They currently have three breweries, and as the article in the OP states, are in the works to open another in Memphis.

It's not as good as beer from some other smaller craft breweries, but definitely better than yellow fizzy beer. I have drunk a lot of Yuengling in my day, especially in college. The commercials are serious, we PA people have always been able to walk up to any bar and say "lager, please" and receive a Yuengling without any other communication.

I'm fairly certain two of Dick Yuengling's daughters went to the same college I did. Should've become friends with them.

Interesting brewing note, I've heard rumors (who knows if they're true) that they only brew two different worts there, and use only two different yeasts, an ale and a lager (not counting "special release" beers, like that Bock). All of their beers are blends of these four basic beers they can make. I'm fairly certain that's how all the big guys do it, though, so whatever.

Also, the Lager is boring to my palate.

Nope, Yuengling is independently owned and operated. That's why when Imbev bought AHB, it became the oldest American owned and operated brewery in the country. That's whole point. IIRC, AHB is technically older but it lost the monicker when inbev bought it.

If you really want to read a cool article that covered both the Inbev merger and the Yuengling brewery read Maureen Ogle's 5 part companion article to her book Ambitious Brew, here; Looking Back At the Future of Brewing. Part 1 of 5.

Nope, Yuengling is independently owned and operated. That's why when Imbev bought AHB, it became the oldest American owned and operated brewery in the country. That's whole point. IIRC, AHB is technically older but it lost the monicker when inbev bought it.

If you really want to read a cool article that covered both the Inbev merger and the Yuengling brewery read Maureen Ogle's 5 part companion article to her book Ambitious Brew, here; Looking Back At the Future of Brewing. Part 1 of 5.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's a great article, by the way. I've only read the first few paragraphs so far, but I heard Maureen's interview on Basic Brewing and the book sounds great.

There were featured in the "Beer Wars" documentary that came out recently on Netflix (this is my second post today that has featured Beer Wars. They should pay me to promote it). Next time I am in PA I will go do a brewery tour. Awesome story. Being from the west coast, I have never had a Yuengling though...

I didn't read this whole thread but didn't see a mention of Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale. I prefer that over lager but lager is much more available at bars and restaurants.
Lager, in my opinion, is a tremendous upgrade over BMC but isn't to be confused with Troeg's, another local brewer and excellent micro brew. Lager is a great beer for the masses but would not satisfy most of us snobs.

Beer snobs can play beer pong too! :D

It is head and shoulders above BMC, and is a satisfying session lager. If I am going to have one or two beers with dinner I generally won't reach for a Yuengling, but it is great for drinking while watching a game, or out at the bar. Easy to order too ;)

I didn't read this whole thread but didn't see a mention of Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale. I prefer that over lager but lager is much more available at bars and restaurants.
Lager, in my opinion, is a tremendous upgrade over BMC but isn't to be confused with Troeg's, another local brewer and excellent micro brew. Lager is a great beer for the masses but would not satisfy most of us snobs.

Yup I mentioned it. Refered to it as "chetty"

I read about "Chetty" on their website, can you guys tell me about it? It's rare that a macro brewery, and for all intents and purposes you can consider them a regional macro and NOT a microbrewery, actually still has a true ale. What's it like?

Yeah, they sell a lot of it in NC. As others have commented it's a big step above BMC, but not quite up to a Sam Adams.

I read about "Chetty" on their website, can you guys tell me about it? It's rare that a macro brewery, and for all intents and purposes you can consider them a regional macro and NOT a microbrewery, actually still has a true ale. What's it like?

I mentioned it a few posts up, but I've heard that it is not a true ale... I am pretty sure they use their lager yeast for it. (I've also heard that it is all cascade though!)

It's a nice beer, one of my go-to canned beers

I remember it being in a green bottle, which scared me, but it didn't have the Heinie skunk to it. My palate has changed since I've had it but I remember it being hoppy and fruity compared to their basic lager.

I've heard rumors (who knows if they're true) that they only brew two different worts there, and use only two different yeasts, an ale and a lager (not counting "special release" beers, like that Bock). All of their beers are blends of these four basic beers they can make. I'm fairly certain that's how all the big guys do it, though, so whatever.

I'm not sure, but they did mention that Black an Tan is a 40/60 blend of Premium and Porter. I may have my numbers off but I remember them saying the percentages recently switched from 50/50.

Chetty is all Cascade, I had one at the bar last night. It is not skunky at all. Very citrusy and tastes very much like my house APA. It can still be an ale if it uses lager yeast. It would just be considered a hybrid. So yea not a "true" ale. Very good none the less.

Chetty is all Cascade, I had one at the bar last night. It is not skunky at all. Very citrusy and tastes very much like my house APA. It can still be an ale if it uses lager yeast. It would just be considered a hybrid. So yea not a "true" ale. Very good none the less.

In honor of this thread I went and grabbed a 6 of "Chetty". It is skunked to where it tastes like becks/heinie. I can taste that if it wasn't skunked it would be pretty tasty. WTF with the green bottles? Why, when given the choice of green or brown, and the facts of what happens in green bottles, would a brewery choose green glass? (aside from Heinie, which has embraced the skunk flavor) I don't get it.:confused:

Ive had many a pitcher of Yuengling in Maryland at the hooters in Dowtown Baltimore...pretty tasty..Hasnet made it down to Texas but its in south Florida so im sure it will creep on down south some more soon..

It's not that good... it's like a well-made BMC as opposed to the cheapest BMC possible. It's a good inexpensive option. It won't wow you and you won't be disgusted. Pretty good for watching football or something like that.

Porter is good tho.

My wife asked me to copy it as we can't get it out in Indiana. Everytime her college roommate from PA visits, she brings a case or two. It's like gold in our house.

I keep a 12 pack of the light cold for my wife, and evenings when a quality beer is a waste of money:tank: my American Legion Hall has also replaced all of their Imbev selections with this truly American beer. I grew up in NJ and Yuengling was my Budwieser before I moved south.

Back