OLD LME...pitch it...or pitch with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENTUCKYBREWER

Reaction score
I've been given a case of Mr. Beer LME from 2001. As I finished looking through the case and was lining them up for the trash can, it occurred to me I may be able to use them for my yeast starters. Bad idea? My gut says pitch it in the trash but I thought I would ask ya'll!

Thanks!

Eeek. I just brewed a batch of Irish Red Ale that was a kit from over a year ago, and I thought that was old! It took a few days for fermentation to start, but that was more attributed to the yeast being a year old (White Labs). I might try using that as a starter, but hey, who knows. Do you feel like an adventure? ;)

Not familiar with MR. beer. Is it canned? If so, it's probably fine, mostly sugar anyway. Open one up and taste it. If it doesn't taste great (or at least like it should, don't put in your beer.

I'd get rid of it. My experience with old extract is that its fermentability plummets. I made an double IPA with some old DME a friend gave me---it finished at 1.039
angry-smiley-17113.gif
. It's an okay beer, but too sweet for me. And that was DME, which has a longer shelf life than LME.

Dump that nastiness!!!

You could still make starters with it, but I would make sure to let the stater ferment all the way out, put it in the fridge for a couple of days to drop it out of suspension and decant before pitching. You don't actually want any of that "beer" in your actual beer.

Brewing Clamper said:
You could still make starters with it, but I would make sure to let the stater ferment all the way out, put it in the fridge for a couple of days to drop it out of suspension and decant before pitching. You don't actually want any of that "beer" in your actual beer.

I've thought about that, but again, I'd advise against it. After 7 years, I'd be willing to bet that the fermentability has plummeted, and thus, using it in a starter would be a bad idea because the whole point of a starter is to get the yeasties rolling with fermentable wort. I tried priming a couple batches with that old DME...man, let me tell you, 10 gallons of flat beer SUCKS!

holy ****! I somehow missed the 2001 part of the op! OK, here's what you do... open the can, mix it with borax and use it as ant bait... there, no waste. :D

I'd toss it as well. That's LME that is around 7 years old by now. Yes it's processed, etc. Actually what I would do is open it and taste it. If you have metallic or other off flavors send it to the compost, feed it to the animals outside...etc, but don't brew with it. And I'd only do that if I really wanted to brew and couldn't get any more ingredients if I were you, it's not worth taking the risk of using your time for something that could taste off.

I'm not sure how many cans are in a case, but it seems like a terrible waste to just toss them. I'd open a few and have a quick look and taste. If there is nothing obviously wrong, try brewing a quick batch. Maybe a very dark stout, and with dry yeast or a reused yeast cake to keep the cost down. Check it in a few weeks....if it's nasty, then toss the remainder of the cans.

12 cans...enough to make you think about it :drunk:

EDIT: well I went and got the box and they are hopped kits, with yeast packs. 1.21lb cans. So using for starters is out. A guy on another forum suggested I ferment it all in a trash can and fire up my still...heh heh

Here's whats in the box: (Mr. Beer Products Inc. in New Zealand by the Christchurch Brewing Company. Best before date on can base.)

4x - Nut Brown Ale
3x - Weizenbeir
2x - Vienna Lager
2x - Pale Ale
1x - American Light

Direct Quote of the back of the American Light "This Mr. Beer mix is balanced to brew 20, 12oz. servings (2 gallons) when combined with 1 1/2 cups of sugar. The emerald solids in the extract are fresh hops added to give this gourmet beer its distinctive flavor.

The rest say " This Mr. Beer mix is balanced to brew 20, 12oz. servings of premium quality MicroBrewed beer. Different flavor and alchohol strengths are produced by varying the measure of sugar and water.

Hell if all I need is some water a bit o cane sugar and some live yeast...

Back