2565 at 76F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The ambient temp in my ferm closet is 68F. Now that I have a RAPT pill I am aware just how much heat is generated by fermentation and it’s more than I thought.

I have a batch of Kolsch made with 2565 that I pitched yesterday morning (yeast/starter and wort at 68 deg to match my ferm closet). 1.046 OG and it’s at 1.022 already (24 hours). I guess the starter I made was a good one. In any case the ferm temp has risen to 76 as reported by the RAPT pill. Anyone have experience with 2565 at that temp? Good bad or indifferent?

With the live ferm temp data from the pill I now have one more brewing variable to learn about. Thanks in advance.

Wyeast says it's temperature range is 56-70°F for that yeast. I've no experience with that yeast. But your temperature is probably already coming down or soon will be. Temp goes up with activity and almost as soon as the krausen excitement is over the temps fall back to near ambient temps.

Any attempts to cool it now might just be too late. But just because you had a temp excursion doesn't mean it's ruined. Maybe some others here will know if high temps tend to impart certain aroma and flavor notes for that yeast.

I use 2565 for kolsches but I always run it at 60°F until a few points from finished where I jack the temperature up to 68°F to finish up. I'd expect run at that ~76°F it might throw some esters but I can't find anyone complaining about the result...

Cheers!

2565 is my house yeast and have been over building starters from a pouch from 2017. I make starters every 3 or so months, and repitch 2-3 times. Needless to say I know this one intimately. I pitch at 57* and it gets to 59-60* and I hold it there for 3-5 days then take it to 64* to finish. They come out very clean and crisp with this schedule. I'm thinking of pitching into a wit recipe and fermenting at 68* for the entire time. I'm awaiting your results.

2565 is my house yeast and have been over building starters from a pouch from 2017. I make starters every 3 or so months, and repitch 2-3 times. Needless to say I know this one intimately. I pitch at 57* and it gets to 59-60* and I hold it there for 3-5 days then take it to 64* to finish. They come out very clean and crisp with this schedule. I'm thinking of pitching into a wit recipe and fermenting at 68* for the entire time. I'm awaiting your results.
Thanks for that. This is my first pitch with this yeast. I expected a few degrees over the recommended top end of the range, but I did not expect 6 deg over top end. I've mentioned before that my abitlity to discriminate specific flavors is not highly developed, but I will do my best to report out on this batch in case that might help you. Now we just need to wait patiently (a challenge for me!) 5-6 weeks until this batch is ready to drink.

This leads me to ask @hottpeper13 and @day_trippr (and others who want to share) what is your favorite Kolsch recipe, or at least favorite that you're willing to share?

Here you go.
Kolsch is the simplest of all my recipes and quickest from mash to glass. This is for 10 gallons to kegs...

1708652541482.png

btw, pay no attention to the pH and "Acid Additions" under the "Mash Profile" section as I do my water stuff in Bru'n Water, not Beersmith...

Cheers!

I make a honey Kolsch, 5 gal batch, 3.5 lbs pils malt, 3.5 lbs pale ale malt, 1 lb wheat malt,4 oz honey malt,and 4 oz acidulated malt. I target OG 1.044 and FG 1.010.

Anyone have experience with 2565 at that temp? Good bad or indifferent?
My buddy actually ferments this yeast that hot---somewhere between 74 and 78 F. The first time he did it by accident, and laziness, but was so happy with the result that he only ferments his kolsch this way. I remember it being a bit sweeter but people seemed to enjoy it.

Personally, I like my kolsch a little cleaner and crisp so, like @day_trippr , I pitch at 60 F. And when I get near the end, I'll finish near 70 F. Then I slowly bring the temp down to lagering temps and hold there for a few weeks.

Back