Growing Pains/Mistakes and Consequences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey22

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quickly learning my new Spike Solo 20g + unitank system and had a big uh-oh today and was curious on the consequences if any.

Currently only 48hrs in to fermenting a helles lager at 50F and had seen bubbling ~12hrs after pitching.

Just an hour ago I wanted to do a small sample to check the SG with my new meter and the whole sample port fell out, causing beer to start dumping rapidly.

I stuck my thumb in it and later was able to reattach the tri-clamp fitting. (note to self, check ALL tri clamp fittings multiple times). Maybe lost ~.5gal so not too bad.

So, given my hands weren't clean, there may be a worry of infection BUT given it is still in fermentation and had already been bubbling fairly rapidly, I highly doubt anything will grow. Do you all agree?

My other question will be regarding oxidation. Given how this is a ~10 day primary, I imagine the air that I let into the system shouldn't effect the final product in anyway given we're only 2 days in. Or will it?
Just trying to get a grasp on any consequences of this mistake.

Thanks!

If you are still in active fermentation after everything is back together, the yeast will take care of the oxygen and very likely any infection risk as well.

If fermentation was completely finished and then you had the thumb and air exposure, there won’t be an infection problem, but I might toss a little bit of sugar in there to activate the yeast and encourage them to mop up a bit. But you’re probably fine without.

If I can add another question.

I have the jacketed spike c10 unitank

At the bottom I installed a site glass. Then the elbow, then the butterfly valve.

It seems the bottom is much warmer (60 vs 50) than the rest of the tank when using a IR thermometer. Is this an issue, or is such a small portion at this temp that it doesn't matter?

That would be the exothermic latent heat given off by the yeast. The big guys have extra cooling on the cone to keep the yeast cool. I never understood the way spikes heat jacket is around the cone instead of the barrel of the fermenter.

That would be the exothermic latent heat given off by the yeast. The big guys have extra cooling on the cone to keep the yeast cool. I never understood the way spikes heat jacket is around the cone instead of the barrel of the fermenter.
Makes sense that they cool the bottom as well. I just live in Florida so the garage is very hot most days (90), which is why I assume its that much warmer on the bottom. My thoughts are if the site glass reads 60, then the internal temp is probably a bit cooler maybe 57, and the yeast is perfectly happy at that temperature so I don't think I'll have any consequences.

Also, I didn't mention it, but I do have their chiller loop attached to a glycol chiller.

Back